Ultra bell question for overdrive 727 and 904 front pump differences

-

Marksman

Reaction score
Quick question, Looking at ultrabell's to put an overdrive behind my 440.

Looking at them, I see that ones for 904's and 727's have a different part number. Is the front pump pattern all that is different between the two or is the bell housing size different overall?

I have found one for a 904 locally for considerably cheaper than one for a 727. I want to bolt them to a 518 or equivalent and put it behind the 440 for my truck.
Could I possibly modify it to work?

Can anyone help me out? I really want to put an OD behind it, but I don't want to shed out $400+ right now.

Thank you!

The 727 is a physically bigger unit, as far as interchangeability, IIRC most of the post 78' pumps interchange. Along with the pump half and the stator half, to say if you were making a lockup 904 or a-500 a non lock, or adding a 5 clutch drum so the ring lands have to be deeper, etc. You can use the same pump and gears, and bolt it on the correct rear section; it plays!

With that being said, I recommend you keep your rear stator section that has been proven, and order a new pump. I hope your system isn't full or trash, causing something to screw up your pump gears, if they are just old, that's another story.

Did you test line pressure at the port with a gauge?

I'd suggest calling wittrans.com, they will get that for you for under $70 to your door within a few days. I love these guys, can get any part you can think of at a inexpensive price, great quality and customer service. They have a blow-up diagram picture, part number, and year range on each part so you need to be ballpark on your transmission year. They will know.

Did you post that in the correct thread? The beginning seemed related but then you got to line pressure and stuff and I don't even have the transmission, lol.

Thanks!

Oh, no It's not in the truck. I'm trying to find out if I can modify an Ultra bell for a 904 to use with a 518, as you're supposed to use one for a 727. Motor isn't in truck and I don't have a trans for it.

I don't want to do anything with the inside of the transmission if I find a good used or rebuilt one. If I have to rebuild it myself, I may could do all of the stuff you suggested. I've never been inside an automatic but I want to.

Thanks!

No the ultra bell for a 904 will not bolt to a 518.The 518 has the same physical dimentions as the 727 in the front pump.

Oh I misunderstood, the bell-housing your looking for is ONLY going to be for a 727/A518/46RH.

-
Back