under coatings and seem sealer

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good under coating that looks like the factory stuff ?
What about a thick black seam sealer that looks like the factory stuff ? I usually use the 3M brushable stuff, It works well but doesnt look correct.

70ChallengerOrange65.jpg

4504080-Dsc05266-1.jpg

When I finally get around to working on my roadrunner I plan to buy some undercoating from Restorations by Rick to redo the bottom of my car.

http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Undercoat

Looks like great stuff. I have bought other parts and coatings from him before and been very please with the results. I have not tried or bought this undercoating yet though.

Napa sells a really nice seam sealer (though the one I bought mine from had to order it for me). It's hard to work with, knocks you on your butt from the smell, and cost almost $30 for a quart, but it looks very factory. I used a big new parts cleaning brush to apply it.

I saw some guys on a TV resto show using urethane sealer from a caulking-gun tube.

Leanna, That sounds like the #m stuff I usually use. its also urethane based so the smell is strong, but whats nice is you can smooth it out with reducer on a rag.

It would be fine if I could find it in black.

The stuff in the caulk tubes works well to but doesnt have that factory look at all.

I'm looking for an undercoating to match the inside of my 68 quarter panels
haven't found the right texture yet.

I amd useing the stuff from Eastwood and duplicating the texture is possible. It is thick enuff to stay on the metal without a problem and starts to cure quickly, 10 -- 15 minutes on the surface. From there, you can manlipulate the seamsealer to mimic what you want.

I'm looking for an undercoating to match the inside of my 68 quarter panels
haven't found the right texture yet.

The stuff resto Rick sells looks good from the photos, I'll probably buy gallon. I was told he also sells a seam sealer thats actually roofing tar but looks just like the picture above.

how do you put it in a shutz gun if its in a gallon can most good under coating come in cans that screw on to the shutz gun.

The website states the rubberized undercoating can screws right in the gun so there wont be a problem, thanks for the link

-
Back