under dash a/c

-

dudeman601

Reaction score
my car has a frigi king under dash a/c unit, and nothing else(motor and motor/accessories were removed before i bought it). does anybody know anything about them? what all does it take to make this baby work?

The under dash unit should contain a fan and switch. Make sure that fan runs and doesn't make excessive noise. If that much is good you will ten need compressor which brakets, a drive belt, condenser, reciver dryer, hoses, and expansion vlave. it sounds like a lot, it is a lot. A complete new system might be better than completing what you have. LIke computers, it cost more to build one than to buy off the shelf.

What you have is a heat exchanger, with a blower fan. It should also have the circuit wire that goes out to the compressor to engage the compressor clutch.

What you are missing is the heat exchanger that sits in front of the radiator, the dryer (mine is attached to exchanger), the compressor and mounting bracket and belt tensioner, maybe a 2 slot crankshaft pulley, hoses, and a drain tube from the Frigidare through the floor.

does anybody have any pictures of their setup? is there a chance this thing is worth putting back together? regardless i am going to leave it installed (kinda gives the car that extra lil "wow" look)

My set up is sitting on the work bench. I just pulled it from a donor car. I got to feel the cool air, and remove it myself. It is for a slant 6. I'll take pics and post or emai if you like. let me know if a slant system will help.

pictures would be great,if you dont mind.. that way i can have some general idea

I had a ThermoKing under the dash on the first 66 Dart I restored. It had a POS York compressor and tubing under the hood was held in place by ty-wraps. Since what I had and what you are dealing with is not a factory install, the routing and location of some components was left up to the installer.

Others have given you the parts list of what's needed. IMO, you also need to make sure that the crankshaft pulley and the A/C pulley line up. You may need an idler of some sort to keep the drive belt off of the fan pulley.

The bracket for my compressor developed a crack. TK is still in business, but it no longer makes aftermarket automotive A/C. Finally got hold of an old-timer who said they got rid of their inventory years ago and had no idea where it went. I ended up putting a Mopar RV-2 compressor in the car because I could get all of the accessories to make it fit properly. My A/C guy fabricated the needed hoses to connect everything.

-
Back