Underbody best finish

-

Ozyduster

Reaction score
I have nearly got the duster floor pan to bare metal, absolut mission as someone sprayed sound deadner and wire wheel struggled with it.
So the question is how should i finish the floor:
-Chassis black
-Sound deadner like Worth etc
-Raptor liner tinted black (My panel beater suggested this as hard wearing and doesnt chip etc also good for inside the wheel wells etc

I will sound deaden the whole floor pan from above as well as dynamat and a thick carpet underlay with a heat shield in it. Made huge diference in my other project cars

IMG_1733.JPG

I would seal it with a zinc chromate to prevent future rust then spray your undercoat bedliner . You might find a undercoat at local automotive paint store that has the color and the zinc in single stage undercoat for specifically that.

I would seal it with a zinc chromate to prevent future rust then spray your undercoat bedliner . You might find a undercoat at local automotive paint store that has the color and the zinc in single stage undercoat for specifically that.
It will get an acid wash, then epoxy primer and then the Raptor liner. Is an epoxy primer a zinc chromate or different again?

The factory had primer and over spray then if you want to they had a tar based undercoat.

I would prime and paint every metal surface that can be reached.

I highly recommend an undercoat, but be carefully to keep ALL the weep holes open.

Also maybe some inner panel "body wax" treatment in the areas that can not be reached by paint.

The factory had primer and over spray then if you want to they had a tar based undercoat.

I would prime and paint every metal surface that can be reached.

I highly recommend an undercoat, but be carefully to keep ALL the weep holes open.

Also maybe some inner panel "body wax" treatment in the areas that can not be reached by paint.
Thanks, so far entire car gone to bare metal and every surface painted, when we have had the quarters off all primes behind etc. Not too worried about factory as not much on this car will be factory

I used PPG DP40 etching primer then paint on my Convertible then undercoated. My Hardtop no undercoat.

154.jpg

332.JPG

i've done it both ways.If you want a quiet ride undercoating is better. But really
it's up to you.

IMG_4221.JPG

That looks like factory undercoating, or the car got rustproofed at Ziebart when it was new. Either one is tough to get off! I'd do just like you plan to do, with the epoxy primer and raptor liner. No need to use etch primer if you're using epoxy primer. Like mentioned above, just make sure all of the weep/drain holes are open....especially the ones where the quarter skins weld to the rocker panels. It's gonna look nice when you're done!

:thumbsup:

absolutely...i completely restored and repaired the factory undercoating this time and it was a lot of work
removing years of mud etc. I coated it with 3 separate products to make it look original. Almost as much
work as removing, priming and overspraying which is also a factory finish.

+1 more for epoxy prime then Raptor liner.

Epoxy primer
1707330813449.png

Raptor liner. I went with Black but they do have tintable if you want to match body color.
1707330842622.png

I went with Lizard Skin Spray on Sound Deadener and Lizard Skin Spray on Thermal barrier inside.
I will add some of the sheet type sound deadener in some areas. May be overkill but I want the car cool and quiet with a solid thud when you close the doors. Thermal liner mostly for the firewall, floor and ceiling but we had enough to get the trunk and inside quarter panels. Got the Lizard Skin full meal deal from Jegs.
Rather than use their rattle can top coat, we sprayed body color paint for topcoat in the trunk.
The trunk will be covered with a custom carpet insert at some point but the paint topcoat was a nice touch until it's carpeted. No lizard skin in the spare tire well itself, just paint. Going to have a skinny spare tire in there... Found a ford spare the correct diameter and skinny enough to lay flat in the spare well...

Epoxy primer
View attachment 1716203832

Raptor liner. I went with Black but they do have tintable if you want to match body color.
View attachment 1716203833

I went with Lizard Skin Spray on Sound Deadener and Lizard Skin Spray on Thermal barrier inside.
I will add some of the sheet type sound deadener in some areas. May be overkill but I want the car cool and quiet with a solid thud when you close the doors. Thermal liner mostly for the firewall, floor and ceiling but we had enough to get the trunk and inside quarter panels. Got the Lizard Skin full meal deal from Jegs.
Rather than use their rattle can top coat, we sprayed body color paint for topcoat in the trunk.
The trunk will be covered with a custom carpet insert at some point but the paint topcoat was a nice touch until it's carpeted. No lizard skin in the spare tire well itself, just paint. Going to have a skinny spare tire in there... Found a ford spare the correct diameter and skinny enough to lay flat in the spare well...
Freakin looks awesome

Epoxy primer
View attachment 1716203832

View attachment 1716203833

Mate its worth it, the difference is huge. When i built my Holden (Australian) it was so weird, was wisper quiet except for exhaust sound, as pluged every hole, sound deadener and carpet underlay etc. Was like a new car. Good idea on what to do in the trunk as was unsure on that

Mate its worth it, the difference is huge. When i built my Holden (Australian) it was so weird, was wisper quiet except for exhaust sound, as pluged every hole, sound deadener and carpet underlay etc. Was like a new car. Good idea on what to do in the trunk as was unsure on that
If and when I ever take mine apart It is definitely the way Ill be finishing mine . Need to build my new shop so i have the space first .

If and when I ever take mine apart It is definitely the way Ill be finishing mine . Need to build my new shop so i have the space first .
Yep once pulled apart they take up a lot of space, but its nice knowing i know every inch of my car and what lies beneath the paint. No ticking time bombs etc

Epoxy primer

Me Too. Epoxy primer and then color matched Raptor liner
tinted Raptor.jpg

Cuda Ragtop - What Ford Model did you get the spare tire from? Thanks

Cuda Ragtop - What Ford Model did you get the spare tire from? Thanks
The spare is for 08-19 Ford Taurus. T135/90 on a 17"x4" steel rim. 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.
The T135/80r17 26.5" Diameter is somewhat snug in the AMD spare tire well when fully inflated...
The well is not perfectly round and has room on 2 sides and touches on 2 sides. Not sure if that is the same with original wells. "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

I did have to enlarge the center/hub opening to fit my Mopar hubs.

Will probably change to a T135/80 ~25.7" diameter to match current tire diameter we have for the car.
This size will fit the spare well fully inflated.
Tires we have for the car are 275/40R17 and 245/45R17, they are both about ~25.7" diameter.

-
Back