Undercarriage paint/undercoating

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
The body shop is going to be working on the undercarriage on our 70 Duster project in the next few weeks. I am thinking about having the bottom sprayed in bedliner material. I think it would be durable, easy to care for and look somewhat like a car with factory undercoating?? What would look better having the underside body color, primer colored or black?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In other words……. The one you like most is the one you will like the most.

That bedliner stuff seems like a great idea... have heard about it before but never actually seen it done.

I've seen trucks with the bedliner sprayed the same color of the truck. A guy that
used to work for us had his Dodge truck bed sprayed green to match the paint. You
might be able to come pretty close to your body color.

Just trying to decide how I want it to look. First thought was to make the bottom of the car like it would have left the factory. Primer color with some FJ5 overspray. However, a factory undercoated car would be a black under chassis. But the solid body color underside would most likely look the best to the average person looking at the car. Of course I will do the wheel well areas black so you don't see body color when you stand next to the car.

Also...has anyone sprayed the inner floor pans (not the trunk area) with the same material? That would make a pretty decent sound deadener as well???

I've used spray on bedliner on several cars. It's great stuff. Looks like factory undercoating but cleans up 20x's better.

My "current" project (a 70 Challenger R/T) got the spray-on treatment before I had to beach it into the corner of the shop due to CLF disease (that's Chronic Lack of Funds disease). I'll probably go ahead and shoot the interior floors with it as well. Obviously not going for the "factory" resto on this car - just want to make it a darn nice show/cruiser.

underside pic 2.jpg

underside pic 1.jpg

underside pic 3.jpg

J have a portable sandblaster, and blasted away all the thick crud under my car, Then i put on the roll on bed liner, it looks great and will last for 2000 years.

How much does that roll on bed liner go for on average? I'm prepping my self for the inevitable, realizing that my OCD has a mind of its own i'm bracing myself for the body coming off... been thinking of the bed liner need something durable to outlast WA rain. Doesn't that stuff have to be super heated to cure? Is the roll on more durable than spray?

Undercoating itself is a decent sound deadener, hence the reason a lot of our cars came with some form of it on the insides of the quarters, inside the doors, etc.

I've seen guys have success with truck bedliner material on the undersides.

You need to ask yourself about somethings first.

Undercoating will clean up rather easily with just a spray of water, getting the dust and grime off. The truck bedliner has a tendency to chalk because if it's waterborn nature, making clean up a little harder.

What's the cost? Undercoating can be shot out of a schutz gun and a whole car can take a gallon or so. Some of the spray on bedliners, to get thick enough to be truly effective need a lot more sprayed on and can require a special gun, depending on manufacturer.

How will you be driving the car? Gonna see a lot of dirt roads? Any salt on 'em? The spray on bedliner will probably help with the impact of road debris on the metal, but undercoating is a specifically made rust proofing.

Gonna ask the shops to reach in and squirt the frame rails through the control holes? Undercoating will probably help with that in that it won't have to go in so thick to be effective that it won't allow drain back of water. This you might want to go with a combination of the two once you've made a decision.

I'd be doing it myself, good reminder Ramenth had been over here so long I had forgotten how much of a royal pain in the butt it is to keep my truck bed from turning white LOL.

Hey guys. For what it's worth, I have Line-X in my truck's bed. It's probably been about 4 years since I had it applied and don't have any sort of cover on the bed itself; therefore it's consistently exposed to the elements. I've never experienced any chaulking or fading of the color. I have not treated it with any sort of UV protectant.....just one person's experience with it.

...maybe not necessarily need to be worried about "chaulking" if you use a certain brand.

Stepper

-
Back