Undercarriage Question

-

mjbarbee516

Reaction score
It's been years since I've worked on a car of any make/model and most of my knowledge comes from reading the Hayes/Chilton/Service manuals. My Dad was a bit sexist when it came to car repair instructions.
I've got all 3 books for my 68 Valiant and can't find the answers. There's repair instructions all the way down to the seat floor panels themselves but nothing under that. The floor panels feel solid for the inside.

Ive got a piece of what looks like it used to be sheet metal but is rusting out bad, reminds me of Pillsbury Grand Biscuits with all the flaky layers.
Do these cars have (or supposed to have) a undercarriage panel(s) covering all the parts?

I can't afford to take it somewhere to have it looked at yet, and it can't go anywhere until I get the brakes doe, gas tank installed, and new tires on it.

I can get pics if needed.

Links and pics welcome! Thanks in advance.

There were no sheet metal panels covering anything to my knowledge. Where is this rusted piece at?

There are no underbody covers on these old cars. Carpet, below that, metal floor pan, and below that exposed unibody framework and cross members if that's what your asking.

It's my floor pan. Ugh. I've got this massively heavy rubber mat covering the entire front floor. I didn't see this.

Where's the best place to get a replacement?

Pull that mat out and find out how bad it is. You might need more than what the quarter patch panels provide. Look at the torsion bar crosmember carefully for rot also.

Thanks. I know my parking brake was affected by the same rot spot.
I'll check the rest of the area once it's up for the brake repairs.

At least parts aren't too expensive for this car.

-
Back