Unilug washers?

-

Max_118

Reaction score
I was finally able to get some centerline wheels, but now I need unilug washers. Are they one size fits all? How do I determine what kind I need?

Thanks,
Max

wheels.jpg

Do they have Center Line stamped in the wheels anywhere? I have never, ever, ever seen a Center Line wheel that took unilug washers.

No, that's not stamped anywhere. I said 'centerline' because I thought that was the style, not a brand name.

No, that's not stamped anywhere. I said 'centerline' because I thought that was the style, not a brand name.

Gotchya. Those washers might be tough to find. There are some on eBay. Have you looked?

Centerline is a brand of wheel, a two piece wheel, riveted together. They will have a visible seam down the middle, sealed with rtv.
You have centerline wannabe lookalikes.
I have a set of American Daisies done the same way. The holes are ovaled so that a regular mag lug centers the wheel on the inside of the wheel lug holes for a ford/mopar pattern, or the outside of the lug holes for a Chevy pattern.
Get five regular mag lugs with washers, mount the wheel without a tire on the rear of the car with the rear in the air, and see if they run true.

Last edited:
Give us a real good close up of one of the unilug holes.

Do you have a digital caliper? (They're VERY handy, and only ten bucks at horror fright). Standard mag lugs are around 11/16 shoulder. If your wheels are for standard mag lugs, your lug holes should measure somewhere around .700 wide (clearance for 11/16), by .950 (clearance, plus .250 for the pattern difference between mopar, 4.5, and chevy,4.75) IF that's what you have, they just take ordinary mag lugs and washers.

So I'd just go to a parts store and ask for standard round mag wheel washers?

Yup. See, there's no recess around the holes for a unilug washer. Some unilug wheels didn't use washers like that. Your are that type. All they need is just a regular round mag wheel washer.

That's not designed to accept a washer. That just takes a standard round mag wheel washer.

Is that even a real uni-lug?

The set I had were clearly oval holes. That looks more like a worn out round hole than a distinctly oval hole like the uni-lugs I've seen. I haven't seen a ton of uni-lugs so I'm no expert, but the that protruding aluminum around the outside of that bolt hole looks more like wear to me.

The set I had were clearly oval holes. That looks more like a worn out round hole than a distinctly oval hole like the uni-lugs I've seen. I haven't seen a ton of uni-lugs so I'm no expert, but the that protruding aluminum around the outside of that bolt hole looks more like wear to me.

I don't know man. They do look strange. I've seen unilug wheels that didn't have recesses for the unilug washers, but, as you describe, they all had much more oval holes. Those look strange for sure.

The scars are from the ordinary mag lug washers. Note that they are centered on the outside part of the oval holes. That's the Chevy pattern.
Mount them on a mopar with the right lugs and washers, they'll work. I have a set of American daisies that are done exactly the same way, used them for years on a big block Ford galaxie, they are now holding up my 57 chevy.
Dual pattern , done exactly the same way these are.

That's not designed to accept a washer. That just takes a standard round mag wheel washer.

Agree, I have a pair of 8.5'' wide setting on the shelf , never had oblong washers on them , clearly show round washers were used on them .
1'' LONG LUGNUT WOULD BE PERFECT WITH THE THICK WASHERS , BUT 7/8 IS CLOSEST U CAN GET .
If I ever buy some slicks , I`m going to buy longer lug nuts and cut them down in my little lathe to fit more perfectly , already done 2 extra ones .

Doesn't look like a Uni lug to me. Looks like it's a worn out old hole.

Last edited:
FWIW, My old "street only" Cragar Vari-Fits had no recess for the oblong washers either.
They came with them though....

View attachment 1715580662
And they would twist into the spoke if ya' didn't block 'em somehow.
BTW, They even had an BC adapter ring that fit in the backside.

I've never seen any kind of offset washers if there was no recess. .......and I've a crapton of wheels. Just further proves when you think you've seen it all, you ain't. lol

The scars are from the ordinary mag lug washers. Note that they are centered on the outside part of the oval holes. That's the Chevy pattern.
Mount them on a mopar with the right lugs and washers, they'll work. I have a set of American daisies that are done exactly the same way, used them for years on a big block Ford galaxie, they are now holding up my 57 chevy.
Dual pattern , done exactly the same way these are.

Yes, I believe that too. The bigger oval unilug was made to fit three patterns, these only two. Although by make three. Chevy, Ford and Dodge, but only two by bolt pattern. I've seen them before......and thought they were weird then too. lol

I don't know man. They do look strange. I've seen unilug wheels that didn't have recesses for the unilug washers, but, as you describe, they all had much more oval holes. Those look strange for sure.

Doesn't look like a Uni lug to me. Looks like it's a worn out old hole.

Yeah I’m not a fan of those. They don’t look like the Uni-lugs I’ve seen.

I wouldn’t say that they’re definitely NOT uni-lugs because I haven’t seen that many, but, they don’t look right to me. And I have seen aluminum wheels with hogged out lug holes from wear, loose lug nuts, improper lug nuts etc. Even if those are uni-lugs, they definitely have some wear. Aluminum wheels don’t last forever.

-
Back