Unilug wheels

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Anyone running Unilug rims? Any problems with this set up or should I pass for the correct bolt pattern? Are those unilug washers available anywhere? Any safety concerns?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg.... hold out for the correct bolt pattern rims. Those uni-lug rims just look like trouble waiting to happen.

Think those little washers will hold up to repeated hole shots or high conering loads? :angry7:

There not bad on a driver, there just a real P.I.A. to get on you have to hold the wheel and catch two at once to keep the wheel center'd. You can still get the washers from summit or pepboy's. But if your in no rush hold out.

I had some unilug keystones on my Duster for a while. They are hard to center, it was a real PITA everytime I changed the back tires to go to the track. Unless it is just a weekend cruiser, I would hold out.

You can use a dial indicater to get the wheel runout nearly perfect. All 4 could be a 2 hour chore. Potholes and curb bumpers will knock them out of round again. Junk

Thanks guys, your replies confirm my suspicions. There's a pair of wheels in an auction that are unilug which I dig but I'm going to pass on them. They sound like a headache.

dont do it man....I had some real bad experiences with Keystones when I was young and dumb...sheared the lugs off of 2 wheels before I wised up...

Yeah, I had a few sets starting in 1981, Western, Cragar, Keystone, none of them ever seemed to give a smooth ride and they are a bit of a pain to mount on the car. The soft washers made for those wheels are only good for a few tire rotations and then they can get mangled.

I actually had a set of tires trued on the car because the wheels would not mount round on the car. Only good til you take them back off too.

Never had a set of chrome uni-lug wheels that did not pit and peel no matter how much waxing or wd-40.

Acorn style mounting is the best way to go, they self center every time.

RALLYE WHEELS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a set of Cragers on my Duster. It is a little hard to line them up right but not to bad. Never had any proublems with them at all though. I got a set of lug nuts at Pepboys.

I had uni-lug wheels on a Charger years ago. They were a real pain to install and the washer always seemed to mushroom if you tightened them too much. If it were me, I would pass on them.

The rear wheels on the missile were unilugs, and while I did alot of long distance crusing with them I would not like to repeat the experience. I agree with these guys get the right size to start with.
Andrew

-
Back