Universal Fuel level Sender unit Question

-

Mopar King

Beginner / Need of Help
Reaction score
I have a small question, I'm trying to make a custom gauge and I wanted to replace all the gauges to modern new gauges. I got the Voltage, water temp and oil pressure gauges but was wondering about the gas gauge. I bought a Sun-pro 1 1/2 inch diameter gauge set and found a 1 1/2 inch gas level gauge but its a 33 Full /240 Empty Ohms

I was wondering would I need the universal fuel sender unit from sun-pro as well? It also looks way different from the stock mopar fuel sender - meaning I don't see the gas tube or filter like the stock? I know that the stock mopar Fuel senders Ohms is 73 empty / 8-12 Full. Am i missing something? any input on this will be appreciated or anyone done this switch?

Attachments

• $T2eC16Z,!)8E9s4l8BQ2BQ7ci5llvg~~60_12.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 513
  • $(KGrHqR,!oUE63(fpyCzBP5NdDSYuQ~~60_1.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 463
You don't want that. Those have what I call the "old chevy" bolt pattern, like the earlier behind seat Chev pickups use. My old Landcruiser had that same (or close) pattern, and I guess some fuel cells do

I didn't check what gauges you specifically want, but you need a gauge that will work with a Mopar sender. GM, example, goes the "other way" that is resistance goes the opposite way from Mopar as the tank is more full.

I was looking for a fuel level gauge 1 1/2 inch in diameter and after looking only found a sun-pro brand because everywhere i looked only has 2 inches or bigger diameter. this was suppose to be for a custom dash cluster I was making and I wanted them to be 1 1/2. guess Im going to have to rethink my plans and return what i have

been looking for a 1 1/2 inch fuel level gauge online last week before i posted this but they don't make one for our mopar cars with 73 Ohm / 8-12 Ohms yet

Well somebody does because there's guys on here usin' em

Post a link to the gauge you were looking at

There is probably an easier way to do this than I did but I could not figure out the math/resistors needed to make it work. So, I did this to a sending unit from a '74 Newport. It was a leftover from my demo derby days. The unit had a 3/8 outlet and a 1/4 return. My stock sender('63) was only 5/16 and had no return, so this was a two sided upgrade. I had an old Moeller Marine fuel tank with a 33 to 240 Ohm's sender in it. You can buy the sender online for around $25. I traced out the '63, the '74 senders and added the Moeller sender to the modified '75 unit. Had to file the round hole from the O.E. sender terminal square to fit the Moeller ternimal. I also used some 2 part epoxy around the terminal insulator on the outside for a little extra insurance. Once you get the swing figured out you can make the float arm whatever length and shape you need it. I reused the Moeller float and recycled some of the O.E. float arm. I used a small piece of copper tubing and crimped and soldered them together. It took a little time but it works perfect. After the first go around I modified it more by unsoldering the original 3/8 outlet and replaced it with a new piece of 3/8 flared to 37 deg. with an 6A-N fitting on it. Just some food for thought.
Larry

Attachments

• DSC01312.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC01315.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC01327.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 455
  • sender 010.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 422
  • sender 016.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 409
  • sender 018.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 450
  • sender 021.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 412
  • intake 011.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 392
  • intake 010.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC01302.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 453
been sick lately with the flu and its taking a beating on me. sorry for late reply / no reply. here is the link of the Sunpro Gas Gauge 1 1/2 inch diameter. I only found it on ebay but am still looking around

67Dart273 I have a question for you about a different subject as well that came up which involve the ammeter (black to red) wire, if you don't mind me asking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunpro-1-1-...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I added a picture of the gas gauge and the Gauge set I bought from pepboys (not my picture )

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!hUFCGlkq787BQr-r01C5!~~60_35.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 381
  • img_6364479_00.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 461
Can you find a part number? I found

http://www.jegs.com/i/Sunpro/885/CP8109/10002/-1?parentProductId=1560608

which says it "requires" a CP7583 sender

http://www.jegs.com/i/Sunpro/885/CP...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CN--q4yL8bQCFQhyQgodM28A-w

and it shows the range of the sender to be

• Empty: 240 ohms
  • 1/2: 130 ohms
  • Full: 33 ohms

This is MUCH more of a change than the Mopar gauges use which is

L = 73.7 Ohms (empty)
M = 23.0 Ohms (1/2)
H = 10.2 Ohms (full)

So even if you added 20 ohms in series to make the Mopar sender reading correct at about 30 ohms, 1/2 and full scale would be a long ways off.

One solution is to do exactly as '63 did above --morph the two together so that you have the Sunpro resistor in the Mopar sender body. You'll have to play with both float lever length and postion.

Frankly, before I did that, I would try and find out if this is going to be a fairly "long lived" gauge / sender combo, IE 5 years from now, if one of em quits, you may not find a matching replacement.

I am in the process of building a custom cluster also...I went with Auto Meter. You can use the stock sending unit then...if you can live with a 2" gauge the p/n is atm3315
they are around $45.

-
Back