universal ignition switch

-

dvav

Reaction score
anyone run universal ign switch dash style . I am going to try to put in a tilt column but it doesn't have a key so I was thinking of using a universal switch . is there any thing In particular I should look for .I am in the process of full rewire job msd dist plus 6al so no need for the ballast resister and ign 1 and ign 2 I think just acc , run and start I think

I have used a few universal switchs in kit cars. I use relays to handle larger loads separately on run and acc.
Mounting thickness and stop is important, to keep them tight.
Many may be keyed alike, if security is a concern.

I would try to wire the charging system feed to the regulator from the ignition switch so that it is not receiving power when in START. In that way, the alternator is not being activated and loaded by the starting system and pumping out max current while trying to start; it might damage the alternator on an extended cranking session. That is a 2nd reason why the IGN1 cuts off while in START: it deactivates the charging system while cranking.

I also have a 1 wire alternator if that makes a difference . I was also thinking I might need to use relays because all the switches I have seen only handle 10a and the factory switch looks like it has 10 ga wiring so im assuming it was more heavy duty. I have also thought about buying stock replacement switch from any old mopar with a dash mount ign switch like a 68 cuda for ex would this be better? I don't think they come with the mounting bezels was one problem

Well, you don't have much choice with a one wire; it will be connected in no matter what.

I bet you could find a bezel in a parted out car.

I use 1 wire Bosch alternators, they have a start delay that seems to work fine in my limited 30 year experience with three cars.

The start trigger is via the supply for the loss of charging indicator bulb. If for some reason the delay is not enough, a time delay relay could be used. The same delay relay might also be used to lock out the acc supply for radio and entertainment system. Many cars have delay for that.

-
Back