unsticking throttle plates

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
ive got a box of old holleys in storage. after getting more and more frustrated with the 850 dbl pumper on my duster, i went to see what i had.

the two that look to best suit my application are these:

1. 330-2 vacuum secondary, 750 CFM, dual metering blocks, center hung float bowls. the secondarys are siezed up. water got in my box. ive been soaking it in the parts washer for a few days, but nothing so far.

2. a carb from a 383 4 speed challenger. from the same box. same problem with the secondaries. im uncertain of the CFM rating on this carb, but would guess that if i rebuild it and get it running well, its valuable.

so, how would i unstick these? my thought was if the parts washer doesnt work, heating them up with a propane torch. any other ideas?

Michael

PB blaster works well too.

If you have a hot plate, you could try and soak it the place on hot plate to get it freed up.

The problem you have is rust between the throttle shafts and bushings. If you get it move a bit then keep spraying it down it will eventually loosen up BUT, now you will have air leaking in at the throttle shafts due to pitting. This and bent throttle shafts from an over zealous throttle foot and over tourqing the base are the big reasons why "My Holley doesn't run right".

Just get a new throttle body from QF and avoid this problem. They are a much, much nicer piece than stock, are carved from billet aluminum, have a thicker base plate, have teflon coated shafts (to prevent rust), have streamlined throttle plate screws, the blades are stainless steel and they have an easily adjustable secondary idle screw plus come with a linkage kit (super progressive, progressive and 1:1).

The best part is that they are made in the USA and run about the same price or a few bucks more than holley replacement. JMHO

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/throttle-bodies-and-parts/replacement-throttle-bodies-1.html

12-85012-750.jpg

I use 2+2 carb cleaner to unstick throttle shafts and plates. Work the shafts firmly back and forth but not hard enough to bend anything. Reapply frequently. 2+2 besides being a gum cutter also has oil in it to lubricate choke linkage.

On a carter afb I tried every carb solvent and soaking with no avail the secondaries were unhooked I dont know how long by a previous owner and were seized so I took the base off and clamped in the vise slowly heating with a torch moving back and forth not keeping the flame in one spot to long after it heated up a bit I attached a pair of vice grips on the shaft and it started to move really squeeking I shut the torches off and keept mooving it and it still squeeking. After it cooled some I sprayed carb cleaner while moving the shaft back and forth with you could see discolored cleaner coming out as I sprayed. It got eaiser and easier and quit squeeking then started moving like it should.

-
Back