unsure what stall i should use

-

Pirate duster

Reaction score
ok. i have a 318 that is legitamely built up. I had someone tear the motor down and replace every single gasket on the darn thing. They never took down any casting numbers or serial numbers for me like they were supposed too. Everything is back together minus the carb. and headers and the block is freshly painted and I dont want to buy another gasket set. First question is, can i take the heads back off and reuse the gaskets(metal) and second, I dont how big a stall convertor i should go with. I got a 727 behind it, just because it only cost me $25 bucks.. when im idling in gear the car tries to lunge forward. i dont know jack about the motor other than its got plenty of power. Any suggestions on what stall i should go with?

There is no way to help you with out at least knowing the cam specs. What rear gear are you using? Does it have a dual plane or single plane manifold? Two convertors you can try for cheap is either a slant six convertor or a 340 convertor. I would try a slant six. Other than that I wouldnt recommend spending money on a convertor without finding some things out. You can get the casting number for the heads by pulling a valve cover, The casting number for the block is outside the engine. there really is no need to pull apart the motor. Biggest problem is the cam. The dude that built it should be able to tell you what cam is in it, If he cant even do that then I wouldnt trust the motor as far as I can throw it. Does it have a four barrel and if so what kind? there is lots you can tell us just by opening the hood. If the guy cant tell you what kind of cam there is other ways to get the specs but you have to be somewhat of a mechanic to do that.

anyone is going to have to know a lot more about your combo before they can recommend a converter.. everything has to work together to get the most out of it..

compression, cam, intake,carb,headers, trans, gear,tire size, weight and intended use.

well, i dont know the cam or compression, but i have an Edelbrok performer air gap intake with a edelbrok 1406 sitting on it, Headman tight tube headers running to 3" side pipes, trans is 727, tire size is p245/50r14, car weighs in the midst of 3200 lbs, and i just plan on cruising with it. maybe a race here and there but no real track time.

-
Back