Unusual Fender Tag

-

FJ5 Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This was an original 400 big block non Rallye 72 Charger that I rescued from a field a few years ago then sold on eBay. Anyway the car was obviously picked over long before I got it... but the body and what remained was surprisingly very solid and original.

My question is not the fender tag itself but the aluminum tag attached to it. I've never seen anything like it before. The picture makes it a little hard to see but the tag had 1 2 3 4 stamped on it with the 3 punched out. You can see how the car weathered with surface rust on and around the tag but there is still B5 visible under the aluminum tag. That makes me believe it was original to the car and besides who would add it later?

Right or wrong I always thought Chrysler maybe built four identical cars for some reason and this car was simply number 3 of the four? Hopefully one of you guys could help shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 121.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 348
  • 120.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 304
Ah... funny you posted this. I actually have the same thing on my Duster. But.....I ain't got a clue what it represents. Maybe someone will clue us in...

I have owned a 72 Scamp and a 73 Swinger with the same tag. I have no clue what it represents.

It is an inspection tag, your car was inspected by "E" - whoever that was.

Chrysler used several different styles of inspection tags over the years & there are plant to plant differences as well.

View attachment inspection tags1.JPG

It is an inspection tag, your car was inspected by "E" - whoever that was.

Chrysler used several different styles of inspection tags over the years & there are plant to plant differences as well.

Interesting thanks! Was it just a random quality control inspection?

Interesting.
I've always wondered this myself.
The only thing that i can come up with it's related to the upholstery.
If you take your seats out, attached to the springs, there should be an aluminum tag that is similar to the tag thin aluminum tag under the fender tag i believe.......
Most cars had them torn off of the fender tag on the assembly line, some remained.
Just like the broadcast/build sheets taped on the cars during assembly, most of them were thrown away, some were left in the car during assembly.
I hope this helps, i have seen the remnants under the fender tag of an aluminum tag being there before, and then twisted/torn off on the line (or somewhere down the road).

I also have one on my Demon and a few years ago I was talking to a guy at the Mopar Nats who had a survivor Duster that also had the tag. He had told me that the tag was a quality control tag for the paint.

The tags in seats may be cardboard, aluminum or steel. They are parts number tags for the seat springs, they typically have a date code & a 5 digit vendor code also.

-
Back