Unusual headers...to me at least

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
These headers came with a 318 cored I picked up. They weren't on the motor, but they look like they might fit. They do however look completely different compared to headers I had on another motor at one time. The "straight" pipe crossing from back to front has been made removable and the collector flanges are square.

20231006_120816.jpg

20231006_120826.jpg

For refrigerators... that must be why they are painted white.

Good call. I looked them up... they were painted white.

Blackjacks were white, too, but I've never seen any with four bolt flanges, which those seem to be.

You are right,Appliance small block headers were $49 new back in 1974.
Had them on my 70 340 Duster. Man I'm old...

You are right,Appliance small block headers were $49 new back in 1974.
Had them on my 70 340 Duster. Man I'm old...
that's wild! and with inflation new, entry level headers are still about the same price today!

Appliance headers were the only headers I knew of that used a four bolt collector flange.

Except for my homemade ones for my hooker race headers, and my Cortina's custom headers, both of which came without any flange at all.

Appliance had four bolt flanges, original ones were indeed white.

They were a little bashed in on the passenger side. I clean ed them up put on a patch ànd painted them with some hi temp paint.
I'm going to try them in my 74
Duster

20231006_164258.jpg

original ones were indeed white.
It was thick and chalky. Most of it came off in the box and on your hands.
It was supposed to bake on when you started the car. If any was left by then.
JR made good headers. I got the last known pair from Mopar Performance that were 6 into 1 for a Slant 6.
Came from West Oaks Dodge. The computer said they had 6 pairs at the warehouse.I said I'd buy them all.
Only 1 pair were found glad I go 'um. Called JR with hopes they would make more and got laughed at..

Believe it or not I got a set of JR's from Chicago Connection about 2 years ago. Couldn't beat the price. About $125-$150 if I remember right and had them delivered by the Slant Six transportation network.
I couldn't use them (my cars are 64-66, and these headers are for 67 up), but for the price, I couldn't let them go. Wound up trading them for parts I could use.

Last edited:
Was just thinking about this. Do they need a 90 deg oil filter adpter?

:BangHead: Dang......it's been 44 years since I had that car, so I can't remember to save me! I wanna say no 90 degree adapter needed, but I'm not sure. Do you have a spare engine laying around that you could mock the passenger side header to and find out?

Those Appliance headers on the Challenger were the ones I learned to leave the end studs in the heads to keep from having to drain the coolant every time I had to replace header gaskets or a starter. If your starter takes a dump, you can take that slip tube off the #1 cylinder and replace the starter from the top!

-
Back