Unusual Hemi Timing Setting....

-
I wouldn't call the Hemi a 'stroker' @ 3.75". All the other BB engines have longer strokes.
BB Chev, 4"; Pontiac 455 4.21"; Buick 455 3.9" ; Olds 455 4.125"; Ford 460 3.85"; Cad 472 4.06

Mine liked 34 degrees ,any diff either way would slow it down ...

I wouldn't call the Hemi a 'stroker' @ 3.75". All the other BB engines have longer strokes.
BB Chev, 4"; Pontiac 455 4.21"; Buick 455 3.9" ; Olds 455 4.125"; Ford 460 3.85"; Cad 472 4.06

The engine in question is a 512, not a stock size 426...

My 572" Hemi likes about 35*-36* total timing, depending on fuel. I run the MSD dizzy locked with a MSD timing retarder that allows the engine to crank at 15*-16*. Once rpm rise above 1000, the timing goes straight to the total timing number. No issues at all.

My 572" Hemi likes about 35*-36* total timing, depending on fuel. I run the MSD dizzy locked with a MSD timing retarder that allows the engine to crank at 15*-16*. Once rpm rise above 1000, the timing goes straight to the total timing number. No issues at all.
That's certainly one option, but I'm unsure he wants to do that. He has the Mopar style ignition now and I don't think he wants to change it. He's driven it a good bit since I tuned on it and he's a lot happier, so we're on the right track. I believe he's going to put the Eddy 600s back on it and he wants me to tune on those. Next time I work on it, I'll try to remember to get pictures. It's a pretty cool car.

I agreed at a earlier post that stated toss the book specs and give the engine what it likes.
Yall will think this is krazy but its true... My 1st ride was a 71 Gremlin 232 inline 6, automatic trans. I had new points, plugs, etc., etc,,. Set timing to sticker spec with a light and tried tinkering with carb adjustments and just couldn't find a sweet spot or get all of what I thought this 6 banger was capable of. A classmate had a Mavrick Grabber with a 6 cyl. with manual trans and he would leave me behind too easy.
An old school mechanic (Ken) said, "Let me show you a trick".
He first checked that the telescoping radio antenna was all the way up. Then he very slowly rotated the distributor until the end of the antenna stood perfectly still at idle. Dropped the hood and said, "Try it now". I broke a tire loose when turning out onto the road. Never did that before. Went to hwy 20 and stretched her out to her limit of 113 mph. This 17 yr old was tickled to death with his... I'll call it a warmrod since I can't call it a hotrod. LOL Outran that Grabber at next chance though.
I never raised the hood again until my banging on the throttle caused the lil' carb to separate. Well I guess that is what caused it.

I agreed at a earlier post that stated toss the book specs and give the engine what it likes.
Yall will think this is krazy but its true... My 1st ride was a 71 Gremlin 232 inline 6, automatic trans. I had new points, plugs, etc., etc,,. Set timing to sticker spec with a light and tried tinkering with carb adjustments and just couldn't find a sweet spot or get all of what I thought this 6 banger was capable of. A classmate had a Mavrick Grabber with a 6 cyl. with manual trans and he would leave me behind too easy.
An old school mechanic (Ken) said, "Let me show you a trick".
He first checked that the telescoping radio antenna was all the way up. Then he very slowly rotated the distributor until the end of the antenna stood perfectly still at idle. Dropped the hood and said, "Try it now". I broke a tire loose when turning out onto the road. Never did that before. Went to hwy 20 and stretched her out to her limit of 113 mph. This 17 yr old was tickled to death with his... I'll call it a warmrod since I can't call it a hotrod. LOL Outran that Grabber at next chance though.
I never raised the hood again until my banging on the throttle caused the lil' carb to separate. Well I guess that is what caused it.
lol That's a great story. Glad to see you back posting recently.

That will get you to a few degrees but not real accurate. There is a lot of duration at TDC and that is why you have to go both ways to find the center of TDC.
....and of course you were exactly right. We were 35 degrees off. That's when I just grabbed the distributor and twisted it until it ran right and bam there was the correct timing mark in the light. So just goes to show how important using a piston stop really is. I know that of course, but just could not find mine. Naturally I found it the next day. LOL

-
Back