Update: Deer vs. '66 Barracuda

-

66moparrerun

Reaction score
This post is intended to a follow up to the cautionary tale I posted last week regarding a deer strike that occurred on July 16th. I conversed with my Hagerty adjuster last Tuesday and he told me that he had received a copy of the preliminary damage estimate from their appraisal firm and it totaled $2,317.8. He also stated that they considered it to a partial estimate but he was going to immediately forward a check for $2,317.81 to me. I then requested a copy of the preliminary appraisal.

I actually received the check on Saturday the 30th and it did not include any statement regarding the endorsement of the check would be considered to be acceptance of the settlement of all claims. I did not receive a copy of the preliminary appraisal until i made a 2nd request via a telephone call on Monday, August 1st. I received the appraisal via an email attachment within two minutes after this phone call.

The preliminary appraisal was very specific if but it was somewhat surprising in some areas. It specified the use of a quality recycled (2 piece, left side) grill assembly and the use of a new hood but it did not identify any source for the 3 parts that they estimated would cost a total of $856.23 to acquire. Also, they preliminarily estimated labor at 21.9 hours and $1,095.

Upon receipt of the preliminary appraisal produced by employees of Town and Country Claims Service. I went to visit the body shop I plan to use and requested a complete estimate initially using the parts cost values identified in preliminary appraisal for comparison. The estimate completed by body shop totaled $3,405.16 with the principle difference being 53.7 hours of labor at a cost of $2,413. The body shop reported that "new" hood, the entire left fender, the entire left door, both A pillars, the cowl and the top of the right fender would have to repainted in color and all of these body parts plus the right fender would have to be clear coated. As directed my a statement on the preliminary estimate my body shop's manager then forwarded his estimate to Town and Country Claims Service for their review and approval.

I took the car to the shop last week and we removed the hood to see if their was any previously hidden damages. We did not find anything else under the hood that could not be repaired but we did find some body damage under the left fender mounted turn signal indicator.

I wrote a memo to my Hagerty adjuster today and requested an expedited rcociliation of my claim and immediate direction regarding the identification of a vendor for a new or reproduction hood, since I have not been able to locate said vendor and/or clearance to locate persons/vendors with a good used hood and left side grill assembly.

More updates to follow:

Attachments

• rsz_100_0001_00(2).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 265
I hit a deer last summer with my Duster and had a body shop complete the work. State Farm paid the whole claim, about $4200.00.... If you need a hood you might check Mopar City in Oregon IL. ( http://www.moparcity.com/ ) Thats where I ended up getting a few parts for my duster. I also located and bought most of my parts and gave the receipts to the body shop and they reimbursed me. Good Luck!

you need permission to find the parts yourself? & they have under paid-- but it is just a paperwork/diligence thing?

surely this site has some parts you can use// also wildcat auto-- for a vendor-- don't know if desert valley is good anymore since going Hollywood. Good luck with getting your car back on the road, Lawrence

Another vote for Grundy Worldwide!!! :-D

Sorry you seem to be getting the shaft. Don't let them run you over.

I hit a deer last summer with my Duster and had a body shop complete the work. State Farm paid the whole claim, about $4200.00.... If you need a hood you might check Mopar City in Oregon IL. ( http://www.moparcity.com/ ) Thats where I ended up getting a few parts for my duster. I also located and bought most of my parts and gave the receipts to the body shop and they reimbursed me. Good Luck!

Thanks, for the info re Mopar City, I'm in Oakwood, IL so they are reasonably close. So far they process with Hagerty has not been at all contentious. I'm fairly confident that the disparity in the estimates will be resolved amicably but i'm probably just being a little impatient. Steve

you need permission to find the parts yourself? & they have under paid-- but it is just a paperwork/diligence thing?

surely this site has some parts you can use// also wildcat auto-- for a vendor-- don't know if desert valley is good anymore since going Hollywood. Good luck with getting your car back on the road, Lawrence

So far the the process with Hagerty has not been at all contentious. I'm probably being a little impatient. I'm fairly confident that the disparity in estimates will be amicably resolved. Steve

Another vote for Grundy Worldwide!!! :-D

Sorry you seem to be getting the shaft. Don't let them run you over.

Leanna, Please see my responses to the 2 previous posts. I think it will work out okay. I'm just impatient to locate good used parts. Thanks, for your interest. Steve

-
Back