Updated pics on my big block A body

-
It's been a while since I've posted any updates on my car, so here's a quick cell phone video of her running.....finally! I had issues with the fuel injection, so there an old Holley on there just to get it running and moving under it's own power. All the nitrous stuff was fabbed up with the throttle body, so it's all just hanging there, as is the injection harness. I do plan on putting it back, but wanted to get it running first so I can take care of the other "issues" that popped up along the way. Things like the transmission that won't stop leaking and the front suspension that can't be aligned, but that's all for another thread. Anyway, here it is. I think it sounds pretty good!

[ame="http://youtu.be/w6qkb7okyTU"]http://youtu.be/w6qkb7okyTU[/ame]

Ever get the trans to stop leaking? Or the alignment squared away? Looks like it is going to be a fun ride...

Thanks for the kind words guys! It looks like getting the tranny back out and fabbing up new lower control arms will end up being a winter project. I've identified the problems, but just don't have the time to address them properly right now. Family first! The tranny is a 4L80 and it seems that after machining to accept the adapter bell, the casting is too thin and fluid is literally seeping through the metal! As far as the front end....I bought a factory LCA from a member here and have come to the conclusion that what's on there now is just flat out wrong. It can be fixed, but it all comes back to the time I have available, so unfortunately I won't be driving this year!

Fast01- Very nice B'Cuda!
What are your expectations for the car? Class, performance, etc?

Thanks,
Chuck West
www.USCarTool.com

Sorry for the time it took me to respond, but I thank you for the kind words! Performance wise....I'm hoping for bottom of the 9's with the 250 shot of spray it's set up for, but it'll mainly be something to cruise around in. Hence the overdrive tranny and tallish rear gears. Class wise....The closest track is about 2 hours away and I work every weekend, so it'll probably only go out for special events and such which makes it tough to narrow down a class.

Are those Mazzolini headers (in the 68 not the gen 1 which does have interesting headers too)? Where does the collector end up and how did you rig up a muffler. Next time you get it up on a lift I would appreciate some shots of the exhaust from below.

Did you dyno the engine before installing it? What CFM are you going to end up with?

IMO that is a serious fish! Gonna be some pissed off rustang drivers in your local area.

Are those Mazzolini headers (in the 68 not the gen 1 which does have interesting headers too)? Where does the collector end up and how did you rig up a muffler. Next time you get it up on a lift I would appreciate some shots of the exhaust from below.

Did you dyno the engine before installing it? What CFM are you going to end up with?

IMO that is a serious fish! Gonna be some pissed off rustang drivers in your local area.

They are in fact the Mazzolini headers! As far as the collector goes, these were modified quite a bit to get them to point in the right direction. Out of the box they pointed inward quite a bit. I can't see how they would've cleared the transmission and given that I'm running a GM 4L80 which is a good bit wider than a 727, things went from bad to worse! Basically they were cut just before they make the 90* bend to run under the car, rotated and welded back up. There were a few other mods that needed to be done as well, but I don't know if they were application specific or something that should be done automatically.The bottom line is though, that even with the price of admission and the mods that needed to be done, I'm still way ahead of where a custom set of headers would be!

Yes, the engine was dyno'd before install and it came in at 638 hp @ 5600 and 671 ft.lbs @ 4400 with an 850 carburetor and no spray, but the car will run fuel injection (TBI) with a 1000 cfm throttle body and 96# injectors. I left some headroom for the possibility of an e85 conversion and the 250 shot of spray that's on there already. I did leave a lot on the table with 11.3:1 compression, RPM heads and small roller cam, but the intent is to drive it, so I sacrificed a little!

Here's some pics of the exhaust as it sits right now. Fortunately, I have a lift in my garage and snapped these a for someone else looking for pics of a "side exhaust" set-up. I have some pics of the funky collector arrangement out of the box, mocked up on an engine stand, but they're stored in an external hard drive that I don't happen to have hooked up right now. they're up on this forum somewhere though, so I'll post up a link when I find it.

Attachments

• 20130811_235739.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 191
  • 20130812_000034.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 20130812_000022.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 20130811_235952.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 20130811_235937.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 189
Here's those collector pics from before my garage was finished. Lol!

Attachments

• ProPartsHeaders 001.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 193
  • ProPartsHeaders 004.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 187
  • ProPartsHeaders 005.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 192
-
Back