Upgrade for '70 Swinger 340 rear

-
Get a truck dana 60 have it narrowed and set up with a spool or lsd + 35 spline axles. 3.54 gears .
Calvert split mono leaf springs. Assassin bars or caltracs. Don't worry about noise, your not going to hear it over your engine and it's a mechanical noise so it's cool. You have your mustang for comfort and quiet.
drive it with the 8.75 until you get your dana done.
have fun and I hope you're enjoying Florida

do you happen to have a side shot of your car with them in?

If a been numerically 21 years, you can find some pictures below. The ride height is low in the front and not finalized. Once you raise the front up, the rear fender gets a little lower. The tires are 28” diameter.

rumblefish's Duster project

And a little bit in this short video below. The ride height is hard to see as the angle of the video is t focused on the tire height.
I hope this helps.

Below is a current picture of my ‘71 Duster with the 2800lbs. SS springs and the same tires, that amazingly still hold air!
You can really see the height difference in the video. The still shot in the thread link below looks like the same. But again, the nose of the car is buried be the front being higher on the ‘71. I set the front fender lip bottom in the middle at a smidge higher than the tire so I can get a finger in.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I run ESPO springs stock height reproduction of the stock 340 springs. No wheel hop they work well.

I also have a 489 case 391 gears, 29 spline on pinion shaft, Auburn Pro Cone Sure Grip (back before clutch type was reproduced) It had 7290 ujoints but swapped to 1350 yoke few weeks back. My stock original 741 323 also had 7290. I believe in '70 the 340 cars started to get the smaller 7260 ujoints.

355 will work good. I got a converter from Ultimate Converter Concepts after my cheap one cracked and leaked. A custom torque converter when well done matched to your specific combination will have a HUGE impact on how that torque gets multiplied.

I have the 5.5 wide 14 inch wheels and not enough tire. With the 727 auto trans I could rolled along 40 mph hold it in second gear and fry the tires like I was on an icy road. No traction until over 50 mph and even then it broke loose at 65 mph once almost sent me into a telephone pole. Then I decided yeah better watch out going forward....

Cuda in Garage.jpg

If a been numerically 21 years, you can find some pictures below. The ride height is low in the front and not finalized. Once you raise the front up, the rear fender gets a little lower. The tires are 28” diameter.

rumblefish's Duster project

And a little bit in this short video below. The ride height is hard to see as the angle of the video is t focused on the tire height.
I hope this helps.

thanks....yeah, the pic in the thread kind of looks like where I'd want the front end set once I'm done with my rebuild and my .92" T-bars, but the rear looks a bit too high. I'm planning on 25" tall tires in front (either 215/60R15 or 225/45R17) and 27" tall in the rear (either 255/60R15 or 255/50R17)....kind of thinking stock height 6 leafs might be the way to go....

Lowering blocks can be safely used. My ‘79 Magnum below has the 3800lbs SS springs in the back here right after install. Stink bug look for sure. A 2 inch lowering block made it look stock as a rock. I’ll do a 1-1/2 block later.

IMG_5266.jpeg

Is the Duster below more of what you’re looking for? It sits on 555 Nito’s and *I Think* (but pretty sure) there 28”. I’ll check it out later. The car isn’t near me. About a 40 minute drive.
I check what springs I have in there.

69999017855__8460534A-CCE2-4A9C-ADCD-5EA799F2294E.jpeg

not sure I want to go that high, looks like the top of the tire is at least a couple inches below the top of the opening. this is how my car sat before tearing it apart. front height was set at it's last alignment 32 years ago because the drivers side adjuster was frozen, originally sat slightly nose down when the 5 leaf springs were new, now it's a little nose up. I plan on setting the front height similarly, maybe 1/2-1" lower than this at most. would like a little bit of rake, maybe an inch to inch and a half. the .092" t-bars up the wheel rate from 85 lb/in to about 130-140, from what I've seen the 5 leafs are about the same 85-90 lb/in and the 6 leaf are more like 130-135.

1705521362734.jpeg

-
Back