Upgraded 318 Tuning Help

-

RedYeti

Happy To Be On The Show
Reaction score
After trolling around for a while reading suggestions about upgrades, I chose the following for my 68 Barracuda:

Edelbrock Thunder Series 650
Edelbrock Performer 2176
Hedman 78050 (what a PITA to install)

Starts and runs. Has an intermittent exhaust backfire. It almost sounds like it runs good, begins to load up, backfires, then runs good, begins to load up, then backfires, etc, etc.

I set timing at TDC, is this correct for this setup?
I do have 2 plug wires that are dangersously close to headers. (I'll upgrade those this weekend)
I set the mixture screws at 2 1/2 full turns each to begin with.

I also need a suggestion for a throttle linkage with kickdown that fits this setup. Preferably a bolt on solution using the existing linkages.

Any help is appreciated.

What year 318? Most teens came with a pretty low compression ratio and setting your ignition timing at 0 won't cut the mustard. I usually start with 10 degrees BTDC and end up advancing it more.....low compression engines like a lot of lead....

On the plug wires close to the header tube ..... get a sleeve to insulte them.

My vacuum advance touches my oil sending unit and shorts it when timing is at 10* BTDC. Anyone else see this? I put electrical tape over the connector, but that won't last.

That idea about using a sleeve to protect the spark plug wires is genius. Thanks.

My vacuum advance touches my oil sending unit and shorts it when timing is at 10* BTDC. Anyone else see this? I put electrical tape over the connector, but that won't last.

That idea about using a sleeve to protect the spark plug wires is genius. Thanks.

Move the plug wires one hole over in the cap so you can twist the distributor one hole so the advance doesnt touch ,easy!

You may also need to index the distributor over one tooth. Sounds like it may not be intalled quite right (rotor points to drivers side forward most intake manifold bolt with #1 at TDC).

Also a vacuum gauge is a lot of help. Vacuum should be steady at idle.

Yeah, sometimes the really easy stuff isn't obvious lol. Btw, on one cammed up 318 with ported heads etc liked 20+ initial and 50 total! I couldn't believe it at first and started checking the balancer to make sure it was right and even got another timing light. That's happened twice now...the other was with a 440. Both engines were low compression and cams that were not good for the combination but both hauled ***! The teen was in a 72 Demon that ran 13.50 @ 102. Needless to say it was a slug off the line but lit off at 3000 rpm. A stock converter didn't help any but on the other hand, the 440 was a monster. It ran mid 13's too but we were limited with the tires and it spun hard off the line and again on the 1-2 shift so it had to be driven off the line like a grandma was driving it....

-
Back