Upgrading front drums from 9" to 10"

-

CudaNewb

Reaction score
What would I need to change my 9"ers to 10" on the front of my 64 barracuda? Would I be able to just swap out the drums and backing plates or would I need different spindles and or ball joints?

I did this a LONG time ago. If I remember right, you just switch everything from the spindles on out. You can use the old ball joints. You might need new brake hoses, but I don't think so. I'd replace them anyway. I'm pretty sure this applies to all of the small bolt pattern stuff. If you switch to the larger bolt pattern, I think you will also need to change the upper control arms & ball joints. I used the 10" drums from a '69 Formula S Barracuda & it bolted right on.

:burnout:

If you use pre 1972 spindles you can use your ball joints and a arms. If you use 1973 and up stuff you have to change the upper a arms also.

I dug up this old thread and was wondering if anyone has upgraded from 9" to the 10" front drum setup. Its an easy enough conversion without having to change a bunch of other parts going with discs. But is it worth the effort and few bucks, or is it time and money wasted?

Unless you get the parts free or real cheap, it's not worth the trouble. Save a few more dollars and get a disc setup. Much better system.
Mark

-
Back