Upgrading to big bolt rear???

-

STRIPE DELETE

Don't got no stripe!!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some help converting to big bolt in the rear on my 1970 Dart?

Axles - I'm planning on new axles. Any advice here? Strange, Moser, Yukon, etc.? Is stock 30 spline?

Brakes and drums - I'd rather not drill my drums, so what are my options? Prefer not to go real expensive (no disk conversion).

Thanks for your help!!!

Dale

I see you don`t want to drill your drums, but if you want to save a buck, call Moser Engineering. Get them to redrill your axles and drums. It would probably be about $180.00 with the new studs and whatever shipping. They`re fast too ,usually 2 days to turn them around once they`ve received the parts. They are a fantastic, customer oriented company. I can`t say enough about them! In addition by just redrilling, no spec`s are changed except the bolt circle.

Don't redrill those old axles. Call moser and see how much they charge to respline a pair of c body axles for you. As far as brakes you need to take the backing plates, drums, ebrake cables(if you're gonna use them) off a large bolt pattern 8 3/4. Measure the brake shoes to see what size you'll need to buy.

I Have Been Working On The Samw Swap, What I Have Found Is This. Use 11" Brakes From The Backing Plate Out, And Go With Moser. I Have Talked To All Three Companies Mentioned And Moser By Far Was Most Knowledgeable (my Spelling Sucks) And I Have Several Calls To Each Place. Also, Thoes 10" Brakes For 8 3/4 Ae Getting Harder To Find (so They Keep Telling Me) And I Worked A Deal To Trade Mine For The 11" Setup I Am Sure You Could Do The Same.

I just did the swap over winter .I needed axles,10x2.5 brks shoes ,drums backing plates,and I had to do mods to the e brk hardware.After all that it made the rear 3/8 in wider on both sides ,ck for room.If you dont want to drill your old rums I have a set for sale already drilled.

Sorry guys...it's the original 8 3/4 with a 741 case.

You saying Moser will drill out my factory axles and drums? That would probably be the easiest option. I may consider that!

Thanks for the feedback!

Dale

I believe the most inexpensive way is to purchase the big bolt a-body length 8 3/4 30 spline axles from a yukon supplier. I have seen them as low as $159.00 on ebay for the pair. Then you use standard 10" or 11" drums & backing plates from a 4.5" pattern 8 1/4, 8 3/4 or 9 1/4 rear.

Chuck

STRIPE DELETE said:
Sorry guys...it's the original 8 3/4 with a 741 case.

You saying Moser will drill out my factory axles and drums? That would probably be the easiest option. I may consider that!

Thanks for the feedback!

Dale

Yeah, just pack them well in a box and send them out. Total time for me was about a week.As you`ve read there`s a lot that goes in to swapping out axles such as backing plates,drums,shoes,emergency brake levers,etc.. I`ve had Moser do the axles and drums for me and it was right at $235.00 with new bearings. At least give them a call.

-
Back