Upgrading wiring for high amp alternator

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade the alternator in my 72 demon to a 120amp unit from a 90 Ramcharger. I currently have the AMP gauge bypassed have 10 gauge wiring in place to support the 65 amp alternator currently installed.

With the 120 Amp alternator I have decided to use 6 gauge wiring from the B+ Post on the alternator to the battery. I'm wondering if I should do the same to the wiring that previously ran to the amp gauge that is now spliced together.

My only issue with this is I don't think I'm going to be able to make holes big enough in the bulk head connector to fit the 6 gauge wiring.

Any ideas on what to do?

If you draw the additional power from the B+ terminal and not go though the old bulkhead wiring, you will be OK. Set up a new fuse block from the B+ terminal if possible for under hood power and run new power feed from B+ into bulkhead for power under dash.:thebirdm:

You really dont need to do anyrhing inside te car. The original fusible link has carried all the power you needed inside. If you plan to add lots of electrical bells and whistles, go for it. Use relays. Keep the high amp wiring under the hood and to a minimum.

Redfish is absolutely right. You're not running all that current through the firewall so there's no need to beef up the wiring there. Besides, the ammeter couldn't handle it anyway. Keep all the high current paths under the hood and use fusible links as appropriate.

-
Back