upholstry

-

mi72duster

Reaction score
Any tips on putting on new upholstry on the front split bench seat on my Duster? Lengendary covers in the box ready to put on.

Pay close attention to how the old ones are attached as you take them off, and if possible, try and do them in the hot sun. The warmer the vinyl, the better they stretch and easier to get them on without wrinkles. I covered my trailer with sheets of cardboard and it made a nice large work bench in the sun.

Pay close attention to how the old ones are attached as you take them off, and if possible, try and do them in the hot sun. The warmer the vinyl, the better they stretch and easier to get them on without wrinkles. I covered my trailer with sheets of cardboard and it made a nice large work bench in the sun.

Xs2 and take plenty of pictures as you tear them down. If you have a problem you can look at your pictures.

Not sure what all they cover, but Legendary has how to videos on there site.

lots of old hog rings to cut, have a good pair of snippers. the seat back covers are a pain to install, i found it easier to put a large garbage bag over the foam then put the cover on over it. it helps the cover go on easier. good luck!

lots of old hog rings to cut, have a good pair of snippers. the seat back covers are a pain to install, i found it easier to put a large garbage bag over the foam then put the cover on over it. it helps the cover go on easier. good luck!

X2 but I used the super thin dry cleaning bags + hot sun. lots and lots of pictures on how it looked and came apart. and as pauly v100 use really good snips to cut those pesky hard to get hog rings

The Legendary videos should be all you need. Just take your time making sure the cover is aligned right before you get too far into hog ringing. Otherwise you have to take them all off and realign it.

Put the cover on inside out and then fold it over the foam and you'll have no problems.

I just did my 69 Darts split bench. I also used bags for the seat bottom. I felt I had to install from front to back on the bottom. Making the holes for the hinge area was the most critical part. I used my original seat skin as a template.
Pay close attention to the upper outer corners of the seat backs. Compress the seat backs and try to keep from stressing the seams as you pull the "seat back" down
Check for broken seat springs. I had to replace 3 in the driver seat back. I used a core. PM me if you need parts and good luck

Attachments

• seat nearing completion.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 336
The factory had a press over the work table. This allowed them to compress the filling and springs, so to attach the skin tightly. When turned loose it filled out properly.
You will likely find the filling in you seat has depleted with age/use.
Result is often a loose wrinkled skin. If I had a nickel for every car I've seen on for sale with "new Legendary seat covers" in the description and poor install in the pics...
Anyway... How I do it. First I refurbish or replace the filler.
Next I place a piece of 2X8 across the back of the assembly so a couple of helpers can stand on it, mimicking the factory press. Skin goes to the attach points easily.
A clean work surface and area is the most important part. If you should put a new skin down on a remnant of a hog ring.... cursing can result.
I take the seats apart and prep for reassembly outdoors. I put them back together on carpet in the living room floor whether wife likes it or not.
One more thing... beware those threaded anchor studs on the seat tracks. The factory had rubber covers over those until inside the car, removed at very last minute. I have found a few of them left in the car. A bare stud can scar you, your door panel, anything it gets near. My UPS delivery guy got his leg ripped open by one sticking out of a box containing a bucket seat. His going to get a tetanus shot after work on Friday equaled GRRRRR.

I used my dremmel and cut the old rings. Extra pair of hands help. I didn't put the seat belt grommets back. Too much hassle and I was afraid of screwing up covers. It gets a little confusing when it comes to the armrest area. Take yur time and taking pictures will help.

Put them in sun like mentioned above, and I like to turn the cover inside out like a sock and roll it back over the seat and foam, works great. Just a word to the wise, they will fit tight, so be careful not to rip them, you will have to put you arm up in the cover and adjust the foam and cover, kind of like a pillow case good luck.

Also take your time. If it's not cooperating walk away for a minute, come back to it and look for anything obvious not going the way it's supposed to, if you find something fix it and move on. I got frustrated when doing mine and tried to work too fast. Came out with a couple of seams ripping on me that I had to turn around and fix because I got ahead of myself.

-
Back