Upper ball joint help

-

nucuda

Reaction score
Had a real suprise today when putting in new KYB shocks .Upper ball joint had popped out of upper control arm - don't know when happened but luckly caught in garage -could have been very bad if driving on road . Got ball joint apart with homemade tool (picture)and hammer but when looking for replacement a lot of sites talk of the larger ball join for this car but have to modify spindel .One removed was supposedly from a PST front end kit that the previous owner installed . # on top is 7022 and # stamped in bottom of stud is 253. Can anyone provide any info on this part or a replacement and does anyone have a good passenger side upper control arm for sale. Is there any good ,reasonable priced after market control arms available that do not require modifications to the rest of my spindel. I have small bolt pattern and drum brakes . Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF1034.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 638
  • DSCF1035.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCF1036.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 489
  • DSCF1045.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 530
  • DSCF1046.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 501
Damn... Did someone get after that with a torch? You just need a new ball joint and to have it tack welded in if the whole arm isn't ruined. That is the common fix. The part number is a Moog K704.

I had the same issue a few months ago with my 67. Here is the thread.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=191112

From the looks it seems that your upper control arms might be fine, you just need to buy a new ball joint, screw it into the UCA and tack weld it so it doesn't pop out again.

My upper control arm was damaged beyond repair and since these are considered to be non wear items they can be hard to come by.

I bought a set of upper control arms from badart, (a member here) and he makes some really nice pieces. They are super strong and have extra positive caster built in so it will increase the cars handling. I needed to make some small modifications to the UCA mounts to make them fit but they work great.

Thanks for info . a arms don't seem to have too much damage . Will remove tomorrow and clean up . May be in Nl next year visiting as my wife is from there and lots of family in st john- will possibly contact you.

Thanks for info . a arms don't seem to have too much damage . Will remove tomorrow and clean up . May be in Nl next year visiting as my wife is from there and lots of family in st john- will possibly contact you.

Sounds, good :) Hope you get 'r back on the road while the weather is still good. A replacement ball-joint shouldn't be too hard to find, depending on who is sitting behind the service counter LOL.

The ball joint is probably fine. Screw it back in and tack weld it in. Then search for a replacement air of control arms for the next time.

Ball joint is no good -metal in unit so binding up . Threads on control arm damaged bu otherwise control arm looks ok .Welding in new ball joint would probably work but found a new upper control arm from WSDsuspension on e bay for around $80 and since I am selling the car do not want to give someone a problem later should they need to replace ball joint.

If the arm is brand new it is probably worse than what you have (made in China). Either another good used arm or welding in the new ball joint are the two best options.

I'd find a good used one before buying those WSD A arms.

Thanks for the warning on parts. Will pull a arm out later and try the welding . Where do you tack weld -upper area in how many spots and any precautions I should tell the shop about. will post a part wanted post in the correct forum .

Thanks to all who helped . Got a front set of a arms c/w balljoints from badlilred79 and have installed .Will get alignment but first priority is to get my mr heater installed in garage before cold weather comes.

Thanks to all who helped . Got a front set of a arms c/w balljoints from badlilred79 and have installed .Will get alignment but first priority is to get my mr heater installed in garage before cold weather comes.

Glad you got your baby going again. Yeah, I bet Mr. Heater will be needed pretty soon for all of our friends up north.

-
Back