Upper ball joint

-

Monaro

Reaction score
Have to replace upper ball joints on my 69 cuda. Don't have proper extractor was going to use 'tuning fork' tool. Can I get away with it or are there any other suggestions.
Cheers, Monaro

You will need a ball joint socket .there on ebay for reasonable prices.

If you're doing upper control arm bushings as well, just remove the control arm and flip it over and put the ball joint head in a vice. Then turn the entire control arm to thread it off. Install the new one the same way.

I have done it without the tool but I had access to a torch. I put the UCA in a vise and heated up the joint with a rose bud and used a pipe wrench to remove the joint.

I took the UCA into a local front end shop and had them install the new joint. Cost me $20.00 and was worth it.

A tuning fork will not remove the ball joint from the upper control arm. It will seperate the UCA from the spindle.
Thats what I was aiming at to seperate the ball joint from spindle. Got it off put upper control arm in vice and screwed out ball joint with multie grips, worked a treat, thanks for everyone help.
Cheers,
Monaro

For others, look up the "2 hammer method" for releasing ball joint studs. A nice write up on a Mustang site.

Bill, care to give a link? As old front end guy, I was shown the quickest way was to loosen the nut, and smack the spindle, at the joint with a 2# hammer. Works like a charm, and seal still good. The joint is tapered, the smack expands the spindle, letting the joint fall out.

-
Back