upper ball joints??

-

moparstud440

Reaction score
Working on my 1969 Barracuda. Originally /6 car with 9" drum brakes up front. Changing over to disc brakes using spindles, etc from a 1982 Dodge Diplomat. I got the upper ball joint adapters from Doc Diff and went to install things tonight and ran into an issue. The adapters fit the upper joint as they should (Slide up to where the original spindle was) and they fit in the new spindle fine as well. The problem is I only have about 3 threads showing on the bottom of the spindle to install the nut. With the nut install it is not quite flush with the stud of the ball joint. The new spindle is 1 1/8" thick, the old one is 15/16", so that's 3/16" I'm loosing. The threads don't go to the end of the ball joint so that doesn't help matters. With only 3 threads holding the nut, that's not near enough IMO. Does anyone know if there is a longer stud ball joint that works better when using the adapters? For those of you that have used the adapters how did yours end up working out?

P2050004.JPG

P2050005.JPG

P2050007.JPG

P2050008.JPG

Have you asked Cass? He’s a member here @DoctorDiff, maybe he’ll respond now that I’ve tagged him.

I believe he usually provides a different nut for use with the adaptors, but I could be wrong (all my stuff is LBJ). Is that with the taper already seated, or what you have to start the nut before it’s tightened and the taper is seated?

I have heard of having some metal milled off on the bottom end of the spindle where the taper of the ball joint goes through.
You comfortable with having something like that done?
The spindle neck appears to be quite thick enough, to have something like that done to it.

Have you asked Cass? He’s a member here @DoctorDiff, maybe he’ll respond now that I’ve tagged him.

I believe he usually provides a different nut for use with the adaptors, but I could be wrong (all my stuff is LBJ). Is that with the taper already seated, or what you have to start the nut before it’s tightened and the taper is seated?

I did message him about 10 minutes before I made this post. I'm curious to see his response as his adapters fit like they should. Don't know if I could replace the upper ball joint (It's still good, but could be original for all I know) and the now have a slightly longer stud or not.

I have heard of having some metal milled off on the bottom end of the spindle where the taper of the ball joint goes through.
You comfortable with having something like that done?
The spindle neck appears to be quite thick enough, to have something like that done to it.

I've thought of that, but wanted to see if there was a ball joint that would work before I started going a route that maybe I would have to.

A common practice on the 67 to 72 a bodies instead of staying with the original upper A Frames and small ball joints and adapters, is to go with the 73 to 76 A body upper A Frames that use the larger ball joints (probably longer bolt on those too to work with your 82 Diplomat spindles).

That's been a problem in using small ball joints, with the aftermarket adapter on them, fitting into big ball joint spindles.
The stud length of the small ball joints, aren't long enough for fitment in the big ball joint spindles.

So whats the cost, in milling, grinding, spindles to fit, if you have to pay to have that done, or using the 73-76 A body, big ball joint upper control arms, and having to purchase those parts?

OOPS! Quickly edited away my brain fart. Tapered fits dont go through any further after material is removed from top of spindle. Good luck with it

OOPS! Quickly edited away my brain fart. Tapered fits dont go through any further after material is removed from top of spindle. Good luck with it

Yeah it would have to be removed from the bottom side of the top of the spindle if that method was used to make it work.

Wanted to give an update on this. I think my ball joints may of been originals since the threads did not go to the end of the stud. I ended up buying Dorman Ball Joints Part Number: B704PR. They came today and they are threaded the whole length of the stud. The nut supplied is also not quite as tall and the ears of the nut are threaded. I was able to install one tonight. With it installed and using the adapters I was able to install the nut with a cotter pin. Forgot to take a picture, maybe tomorrow night when I get the other side in.

-
Back