upper control arm bump stops 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

-

steveb

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove and install the upper control arm bump stops on a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger? Will I have to loosen and lift the control arm up to give enough clearance to remove them? If I loosen and lift the control arm to get the clearance will this put the front end alignment off?

Thank you

Short answer no. Do not loosen the control arm.

There is a nut on the bottom side of the bracket it sits on, which I believe is 1/2" and you will just have to hold the rubber bumper. Once its loose you should be able to just tip it and slide it out. If the rubber bumper is gone, then get a vise grip in there to hold the stud.

If the control arm is sitting on the bump stop then you either changed the ride height or your torsion bars are tired and relaxed. That involves a lot more work.

if its sitting on the bump stop the bars are too tight...with wheels on the ground there should be enough room to r and r it...if ur engines out i guess it will be close to the stops

My guess is the nut and stud will be very rusted. Having the upper arm sitting on the rubber might help. Good luck with it.

-
Back