Upper Control Arm Installation Question

-

1MeanA

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install the front end which was totally restored by the PO. I bought the car in pieces. The control arms have new bushings. When I put them in place they just drop right into the slots with about 3/16" clearance. Is this right? I thought you usually needed a mallet to knock these into place before putting the bolts and eccentric washers on. Thanks.

Depends on how far you spread the mounting tabs when the old ones were removed. Bolt one up and see how it works out. That's the only way to tell for sure.

whhen you titen up the cam bolts the brackets must be tight up against the bushings so it doesnt pivot on the cam bolts. every one i worked on they were snug fit. did anyone have the brackets off and not put them back right.

Those bushings should need to be installed w/ a mallet. Are the washers present on both ends of each bushing?

Are the washers supposed to be separate? I'll get some pics. I guess this is part of buying a car in boxes.:help:

Are the washers supposed to be separate? I'll get some pics. I guess this is part of buying a car in boxes.:help:

It depends on the brand. Moog comes w/ the washers already pressed to the bushings. Yes, pics will help........

Camera batteries are dead again. I dug through the parts bins because I remember seeing some small Moog boxes and found 8 washers with little snouts on them. There are 4 large ones and 4 small. I'm guessing they press into the rubber bushing sleeves. That seems right now.

Could be that maybe the person who removed and reinstalled the upper control bushings may have bent the whole arm slightly when pressing in the new bushings or removing the old ones. Are the replacement bushings OE or a poly insert into the old cup? That would tell you if these had been tweaked by this aggravating process. Lets wait for some pics and get a look-see at it. Geof

They fit nice and tight now.

IMG_0003 (Small).JPG

hardware (Small).JPG

washers (Small).JPG

in (Small).JPG

How can I tell which upper A arm is passenger side or Drivers, on 70 340 Duster ( front Disc ) and will any 70 or 71 upper regardless of engine size work?

Oops. my bad. The arm has a area that lands on a bump stop. There are other differences but that's the easiest way to define left and right.

Oops. my bad. The arm has a area that lands on a bump stop. There are other differences but that's the easiest way to define left and right.

There's like a tray on one side of the A arm, is that the side that would face the back of the car.. I appreciate the help.

There's like a tray or one side wider looking down on it..would that be the side that would face the rear of the car.. I really appreciate your help.

yep. he wider side goes above the bracket where the rubber bump stop mounts.

-
Back