Upper control arms

-

roadripper

Reaction score
So was at the wrecker yard the other day and there was a dart there with drum brakes on it . I checked for Vin # but the dash was gone , so can't verify the year , I have a picture of the body tag I think it's a 74 ! Would those control arms be the ones I want for a 73 and up disk brake conversion ? Not sure if it has small bolt pattern or large ?? Thanks Mike
20161123_163001.jpg

It's a 74 like you thought and most likely small bolt pattern hubs since it has drum brakes.

I "think" the upper control arms will work for your BBP swap.....Someone else will be along to confirm.

6pk2goDemon is correct. 73-76 uses the larger upper BJ and will work with the BBP swap/conversion.

thanks
James

So it won't mater if the drums are small or large bolt pattern? ? Should be the large ball joint ??

Thanks Mike

Correct it is based off the bj. The 73-76 used what is called the large upper ball joint. Which was the same as the B and E bodies. The early a's pre 73 used a small upper bj.

Thanks
James

You better go get them before someone else does and posts them here for $200 in the for sale section.

you've noticed that too, eh? I understand the concept of supply and demand economics, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating seeing someone selling 40+ year old rusty crusty pieces of **** that need new bushings and ball joints and are sometimes bent during removal (yes, it happens, ask me how I know) for $100 or more...it won't be much longer before buying new tubular ones (arguably better due to modern manufacturing) is a better option anyway.

rant off...

you've noticed that too, eh? I understand the concept of supply and demand economics, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating seeing someone selling 40+ year old rusty crusty pieces of **** that need new bushings and ball joints and are sometimes bent during removal (yes, it happens, ask me how I know) for $100 or more...it won't be much longer before buying new tubular ones (arguably better due to modern manufacturing) is a better option anyway.

rant off...

Some folks get bored and will do anything to make a quick buck.

So went the wrecker yard today got the control arms 85 bucks
20161205_131755.jpg
last pair there

Thanks for the help on this

Mike

lame...well, at least you got the arms...bushings and ball joints are inexpensive, at least.

6pk2goDemon is correct. 73-76 uses the larger upper BJ and will work with the BBP swap/conversion.

thanks
James
I'm a newb on the forum not sure how to post but I have a question.
I am working on a 75 dart sport was a slant six drum brakes I am reading different things about the uca's I want to convert to disc in the front but am being told I will need to change the uca's others say I already have the lbj how do I tell if I have the lbj's
I am installing a 360 in it also. will I need to change the tranny cross member?

Being that your car is a 75 it would have the large upper ball joint regardless of being a drum brake car. That car used a BJ 10162 the larger upper ball joint So you would only need to get the disc brake spindle, brackets and hardware to do the conversion.

For engine the k members are different between the slant six and the v8, but there are vendors that make modified engine mounts to put v8's into a slant 6 k member if you don't want to change it

Thanks
James

-
Back