UPS refundable additional insurance fee? SCAM

-

64sf

Reaction score
I recently purchased a part listed for sale on a Mopar Parts facebook site, paid the seller his asking price plus the shipping charges. I paid for it using PayPal friends/family (what a mistake that was although I've never had a problem in the past). I'll think long and hard about doing that in the future.

After receiving the money, the next day he PM's me saying that UPS requires an additional insurance fee of $100.00 refundable up on delivery of the part. I suspected this was false, but giving him the benefit of the doubt I double checked with our local UPS shipping office and as you would expect that is not a policy of UPS. He also says UPS has the part but won't ship unless the additional fee is paid.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a seller try to pull this scam. I'm accept the fact the money is gone ($185.00) and I'll never receive the part.

Buying and finding parts is hard enough...but dealing with scumbags like this makes it even harder.

I recently purchased a part listed for sale on a Mopar Parts facebook site, paid the seller his asking price plus the shipping charges. I paid for it using PayPal friends/family (what a mistake that was although I've never had a problem in the past). I'll think long and hard about doing that in the future.

After receiving the money, the next day he PM's me saying that UPS requires an additional insurance fee of $100.00 refundable up on delivery of the part. I suspected this was false, but giving him the benefit of the doubt I double checked with our local UPS shipping office and as you would expect that is not a policy of UPS. He also says UPS has the part but won't ship unless the additional fee is paid.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a seller try to pull this scam. I'm accept the fact the money is gone ($185.00) and I'll never receive the part.

Buying and finding parts is hard enough...but dealing with scumbags like this makes it even harder.
Check with your bank. Regardless of the friends and family, and unless something has changed. If you payed thru a credit card you can get your money back.

that is a twist on a common scam. I knew a guy that bought a fancy pit bull on line that had to be shipped via air. He paid big bucks for the dog. Then when the dog got to the airline the airline claimed the carrier was not correct for air mailing a dog. He sent another 250 bucks to upgrade the carrier. The whole thing was a scam to the tune of around $2500.00

Check with your bank. Regardless of the friends and family, and unless something has changed. If you payed thru a credit card you can get your money back.
Just got off the phone with my credit card company....filed a disputed claim. Guess we'll see.

If UPS has the part they will ship it with the default value of $100 or what ever that is. You pay for additional value insurance if you want a higher reimbursement if parts gets lost damaged. All of that is agreed upon when part is handed over to UPS. So there is no such thing as UPS has the part and won't ship until additional insurance is paid.

Another reason to buy and sell on FABO only and stay away from fuckfacebook.

I wont buy from face regardless, but, you paid the extra $100 anyway? knowing it was a scam?

Lol I (LAD) laugh all day at I won’t buy from Facebook guys. I put a set of rockers on Facebook last week and got 550.00 cash delivered by UPS today and his rockers go out tomorrow. Tracking numbers given incoming and will be out going. Pretty sure I sold a 1150 dominator tonight. Lol. Stick to your guns guys.

I look at Facebook all the time, but will never buy unless its with in driving distance. I buy off eBay, yes prices are higher but seems always protected by eBay.

I ran into a pretty funny scam on fakebook the other, but it worked out, so im keeping my mouth shut

I suspect reporting this scammer and the site to Facebook would be a wasted effort.

I like to mess with Facebook scammers. I do my due diligence by scanning Google with the picture they post.

Received notification that the bank/credit card has temporarily given me credit for the scammer amount. They asked a response to a few questions....will keep this thread updated. Originally wasn't going to pursue but reading the post by 64 AAR CUDA gave it a shot....so far so good. Thanks to all who posted.

-
Back