Urethane paints school me....

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Ok in the next few months I should be painting a few places on my Formula S.Like the bottom side of the roof,top side of the floor and trunk pan,and the back side of the firewall.And by the end of fall I hope to have the door jambs and engine compartment painted.By the way as of now the color will be black.
My question is my Unlce who will be doing most of the painting wants to use 2 stage urethane aka base clear coat.
My questions are...
1.. Whats the differances between single stage and 2 stage.Cost?,Durablity?,etc.
2.. Single stage you mix and spray and it comes out glossy right?
3 Which single a two stage would hold up better, under the hood and on the bottom side of the car?
4 If I had you repaint a fender or a spot on the quarter panel later on down the road,which one would be less trouble to do.single or 2 stage
5 I think most importantly which one is the most durable.I plan on using good stuff.Hell my primer is $450.00 a gallon.

Here is my thought spray the engine compartment,bottom side of the car,bottom side of the roof,jambs,and the floor and trunk pans in single stage.Why?because you have no clear to deal with and it maybe more durable???
Spray the out side of the body in 2 stage....

Myself I have sprayed enamel and 2 stage urethane so I am not totally lost.

Thanks,Jim

My questions are...
1.. Whats the differances between single stage and 2 stage.Cost?,Durablity?,etc.

Single stage(Enamel) has no real barrier against UV damage but when used with hardener will last a while with proper care. A Urethane Needs less attention and will outlast enamel with ease. Cost depends on what brand and series you decide to use.

2.. Single stage you mix and spray and it comes out glossy right?

Yes

3 Which single a two stage would hold up better, under the hood and on the bottom side of the car?

I see no reason to apply to the interior and underside unless you are building a show car! Engine compartment will need the color.

4 If I had you repaint a fender or a spot on the quarter panel later on down the road,which one would be less trouble to do.single or 2 stage

Base/Clear imho.. You will need to Blend properly!

5 I think most importantly which one is the most durable.I plan on using good stuff.Hell my primer is $450.00 a gallon.

I use PPG products. A lot of the older colors can only be mixed in the affordable "Shopline" Bases then use a good clear like Concept or Global which is the most expensive clear. That my friend will last a lifetime!!

Here is my thought spray the engine compartment,bottom side of the car,bottom side of the roof,jambs,and the floor and trunk pans in single stage.Why?because you have no clear to deal with and it maybe more durable???

No, the single stage is NOT more durable! If you are using a high dollar primer i am assuming it is a "Epoxy" type primer. Leave the epoxy on the underside and interior of the car. Use the Urethane for the exterior portions of the body and cut-in the jambs, trunk and engine bay.

If you try to use both the Urethane will usually wrinkle up and ruin your efforts. Stick with one product!!!
Spray the out side of the body in 2 stage....

Myself I have sprayed enamel and 2 stage urethane so I am not totally lost.

Thanks,Jim

Just my "Professional" 2 cents

I know alot of people don't paint their floor pans.But when you are as far as I am into this car, why not?But that is just the way I am.With 2-3 coats of paint on the floor it will be better than the factory ever did.I do plan on showing and driving the car.I do not believe in trailer queens.It will not be a $100K rest either,plus I am a rookie at a full resto. but it will be done better than some so called pros.I have seen alot of bodyshop hacks over the years.

Jim

Attachments

• formula S #6 007.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Formula #8 015.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 2 pics 002.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 135
  • S frame 017.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 155
What I meant was to apply your High Dollar epoxy primer and leave it. Once your done there should be no leaks to cause rusting in the future. If you got the cash then paint away! Looks like your are doing a great job from the pics! Carry on!

I do this stuff for a living so I am well aware of what someone can do to a car. Just about finished with a 67 RS/SS as I type. Replaced the entire rear except the right 1/4 and frame rails.

Do you have a donor car or using AMD parts? AMD lists new full oem 1/4s but not available yet.

I am using AMD metal.The quarters came out about a month or so ago.But no trunk extensions, WTF.I tried to modify an AMD Duster trunk extension with no luck,its too wide and too long.My quarters are very fixable but I think I am going to replace them both with AMD and sell my old ones.
Thanks,jim

Yep, I needed the extension and a lower patch. I have been waiting on a extension for 2 years from AMD. I used a Duster patch from AMD and worked it to fit. I prefer to leave as much of the original sheetmetal as possible.

For the underbody and floor pans i use poly urethane,Like Imron if you can still get it,
B/C will also work well just more spray time,I too have just finished a 68RS/SS
Rag and sprayed the entire car with Poly urethane.As for trunk extensions there easy to fab if you have a good bead roller.

-
Back