US Car Tool spring relocation DONE

-

gumper

Reaction score
Took half a dozen nights after work, and weekend afternoons, but it's finally done. Some thoughts on the US Car Tool kit... Very high quality pieces. Not great directions or measurements, but it's fairly strait forward. Cannot necessarily trust the pre-drilled holes when lining the front boxes up to the subframe rails. The left box was a good 1/4" off center left to right. I imagine the car is a little twisted like most 47 year old cars would be. When the upper holes lined up it made the boxes somewhat crooked up and down. The shackle hangers for the rear lined up perfect, so that was a bolt in and weld up deal. The crappy part was I had to put a couple significant notches in the front spring mounts for the CalTrac plates. There was a LOT of measuring, cutting, grinding a little, checking, grinding, tacking, welding, measuring, drinking, welding, bolting the springs in, measuring, welding, drinking, taking things out, welding, putting it back together, measuring, taking stuff apart, welding, drinking... A very tedious process. Got the rear end within .010" of center left to right, lowered ride height an inch and the pinion pointing 2* down. Have to get the wheels and tires now to see if I need to hack the tubs out or not.

Hope I never have to do it again, but if I do then I'd get this kit over the mopar one.

Here are the notches that were needed on both sides of the front boxes

IMG_1805.JPG

Last edited:
Just curious... did you order the inboard caltrac kit or just a standard kit? Just curious if the wrong kit is the reason you had to grind the brackets.

Thank you

Jason

Just curious... did you order the inboard caltrac kit or just a standard kit? Just curious if the wrong kit is the reason you had to grind the brackets.

Thank you

Jason
I've had the CalTracs on the car for several years before moving the springs. I have no idea what is different on the inboard setup.

Considering the factory front mount survived fine up to this point I'm not worried about it.

Took half a dozen nights after work, and weekend afternoons, but it's finally done. Some thoughts on the US Car Tool kit... Very high quality pieces. Not great directions or measurements, but it's fairly strait forward. Cannot necessarily trust the pre-drilled holes when lining the front boxes up to the subframe rails. The left box was a good 1/4" off center left to right. I imagine the car is a little twisted like most 47 year old cars would be. When the upper holes lined up it made the boxes somewhat crooked up and down. The shackle hangers for the rear lined up perfect, so that was a bolt in and weld up deal. The crappy part was I had to put a couple significant notches in the front spring mounts for the CalTrac plates. There was a LOT of measuring, cutting, grinding a little, checking, grinding, tacking, welding, measuring, drinking, welding, bolting the springs in, measuring, welding, drinking, taking things out, welding, putting it back together, measuring, taking stuff apart, welding, drinking... A very tedious process. Got the rear end within .010" of center left to right, lowered ride height an inch and the pinion pointing 2* down. Have to get the wheels and tires now to see if I need to hack the tubs out or not.

Hope I never have to do it again, but if I do then I'd get this kit over the mopar one.

I am doing the same kit right now....where did you do all of your measuring from to get everything straight? I have heard some guys measuring off of the torsion bar cross member and others using a plumb bob and squaring it up that way.....You are correct about the lack of directions in the kit....nice pieces though!

Off the torsion bar cross member mainly. We marked spots on the floor and used a strait edge too just to double check things.

Another Thumbs Up for the US Car Tool Kit. I ordered mine and realized that the 5/8" holes were way too big for my front springs since I decided to keep my old Slant 6 springs with 1/2" bolt holes. I contacted the guys at US Car Tool and they said, "No problem. Send them back, we'll create a custom set for you. No extra charge."

Haven't mounted mine in yet, but the quality is excellent.

IMG_6297.JPG

-
Back