Used cam openions???

-

greenhornet

Reaction score
What do y'all think about used cams?? My rule of thumb has always been to keep the lifters matched up with the lobes thay came off of... I've been finding some good used grinds lately that I'm really intrested in, but it seems that people can't seem to "keep the lifters with the cam"... What's the odds that a new set of lifters would work and last on a used cam???

What do y'all think about used cams?? My rule of thumb has always been to keep the lifters matched up with the lobes thay came off of... I've been finding some good used grinds lately that I'm really intrested in, but it seems that people can't seem to "keep the lifters with the cam"... What's the odds that a new set of lifters would work and last on a used cam???
I think you would be okay if you broke in the cam again with new lifters.....cam break-in additive and same time and rpm rules apply..

The basic rule with lifters is "when in doubt, throw them out". You can put new lifters on a used cam, but used lifters must go back on the exact same lobes they were removed from, preferably in the same engine. Even then, you should check the lifter bottoms to make sure they still have some "crown" by placing the base of one lifter against the side of another. It should only touch in the middle with daylight visible around the edges. If they are dead flat, or dished, chuck them. If you do find any which have much dish at all, take a good look at the corresponding cam lobe. The lobe should be ground on a slight taper, but the nose should be flat across. That is, if you place the side of a lifter (or any other handy straightedge) across the nose of a lobe parallel to the cam, it should contact the lobe straight across with no daylight visible at the edges. The rear edge of the lobe will be slightly taller than the front which causes the lifters to rotate and keeps the cam from walking forward-backward in the block with the engine running. Many times it's a lifter that wipes out a cam, not the other way around.

On several occasions in the past because of lack of funds I have resurfaced used lifters on a valve stem machine with good results. I am not saying that this will definitely work or that this is what you should do but that it worked for me in the past.

Are you saving any money by using a used one. In my opinion cams a pretty inexpensive considering the mess you make if you wipe one out.If you use one I would use new lifters and go through the break in proses again.

Are you saving any money by using a used one. In my opinion cams a pretty inexpensive considering the mess you make if you wipe one out.If you use one I would use new lifters and go through the break in proses again.

New cams I'm looking at ain't cheap (after you buy matching springs).. It's budget build or NO build for me...

look at the summit cams. they are cheap and can make some good power. if you buy a used cam and buy new lifters it isnt going to be that cheap.

-
Back