Used motor oil ??

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Curious what you guys and gals do with your used motor oil when you do a change. I know some live in the metro areas with strict guidelines for disposal but here in the country i have a Hardy wood burning furnace that sits out side and it heats the water that runs through a radiator in the house and shop then a fan blows through the radiator to heat the house or shop. I have wood stacked up in rows and when i have oil i'll pour it over the wood which sets for maybe a week or so and is absorbed then i put the wood in the furnace and there i have free BTU's. Over the summer i save it in bleach or antifreeze or milk jugs then when i stack up my winters wood i pour it on. How about you?
Small Block

Pour it on the burn pile ...... Or use it to treat the wood floor on utility trailers....

Burning waste oil can be very very dangerious and can hurt mother earth. Now that that is said, you can use this for heat if you do a little work and not hurt the world.

If you have a brick lined heater you can make a inprovised blast furnace.
This thing will get HOT.

I know of two people that have used these. They work very well. The only draw back is the sound.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/index.html

Old information, but sound.

Whip

Our local impliment dealer supplies me with 2 55 gal. barrels to save waste oil in. They heat their shops with waste oil furnaces. When they're full they come and get them with a skid loader and bring me 2 new empties.

Several auto parts stores also serve as "recycling centers" here in the Bay Area. I've taken mine to a Kragen Auto Supply.

Used oil makes good chain saw bar oil. Other than that, it goes to the local autozone.

There is a center where you can drop off used oil and filters, even used antifreeze. The fluids are free to dispose of, the filters they take a donation. They even let you dispose of your old containers you store the drain oil in too if you choose.

:-D
Curious what you guys and gals do with your used motor oil when you do a change. I know some live in the metro areas with strict guidelines for disposal but here in the country i have a Hardy wood burning furnace that sits out side and it heats the water that runs through a radiator in the house and shop then a fan blows through the radiator to heat the house or shop. I have wood stacked up in rows and when i have oil i'll pour it over the wood which sets for maybe a week or so and is absorbed then i put the wood in the furnace and there i have free BTU's. Over the summer i save it in bleach or antifreeze or milk jugs then when i stack up my winters wood i pour it on. How about you?
Small Block
You can now take it to any Walmart tire & auto, Quick Stop, Quickie, Q Lube, and any other "lube" outlet!:cheers:
Also put in old dishwashing liquid bottles (after cleaning) to use in lawnmowers! Yea Brigs!!!

Pour it right into the storm drain.

Seriously, I put it into gallon milk jugs and drop the off at a jiffy lube or EZ lube after they close. By law they have to take care of it.

Several years ago the folks that lived on a gravel road would pour their used oil on the dirt road in front of the house so as to cut down on the dust from people flyin by in their cars. Also my grandad and other farmers would mix powdered sulfur with the used motor oil and pour it on their sows so as to kill the lice and other parasites. I've also used it for the chain saw chains also.
Small Block

Some places are actually PAYING to get used oil, as much as 10 cents per gallon.
Why do you think places will do you the "service" of taking it for free, now?

Filtered correctly, it also works good in older diesel trucks.

A diesel engine will burn just about anything oil-based, whether petroleum products or plant related.

Mark.

I work for a construction company that has its own service and maintenance shop. I take my used oil in a closed container and pour it into the shop's reservoir that is eventually picked up by the fuel/oil company.

Several years ago the folks that lived on a gravel road would pour their used oil on the dirt road in front of the house so as to cut down on the dust from people flyin by in their cars. Also my grandad and other farmers would mix powdered sulfur with the used motor oil and pour it on their sows so as to kill the lice and other parasites. I've also used it for the chain saw chains also.
Small Block

We put used go put used motor oil on are cows to get rid of ring worm. It workes grate. Better than any thing else we tryed. It has to be used though. New oil will not work.

take it to kragens.. or in vegas they put it on the ball fields so weeds dont grow.

my redneck buddy puts it in his gas tank, it seems to run fine but says the filter may get dirty faster. oh ya its a diesel.

please no hate mail, you asked.

Here in MASS if a store sells motor oil they have to take the used stuff back for recycling. I just save up a bunch and make a trip to my local Wal Mart and drop it off.

Well, I either change my oil at the fire station shop and leave it there, or I store it up in a 30 gallon barrel that I list on CL for free and have someone pick it up (reminds me I need my barrel back). I have also been known to take it to the parts store if need be.
I've seen it used on the dirt floors in barns to help pack down the dirt and keep the dust down.

We bought a furnance that is made to burn waste oil for our shop. Best investment we ever made as this heats the entire shop the whole Wisconsin winter for nothing. If you could find someone near you that has one of these they would truly be greatful to take all your waste oil off your hands.

I give it to my father, he works in a garage that has a heater that runs from used car oil

I usually keep at least a gallon on hand for releasing concrete forms and oiling yard tool blades. If I have extra, I'll throw it on the burn pile. I am not worried about it damaging the earth because it comes from the earth and there are many places where it bubbles to the surface on its own, anyway.

-
Back