Used parts that are available new.

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Perfect place for this kind of information. I see most of the sale threads and as much as I would like to comment, I do my best not to. There are some crazy prices around here sometimes. When you see used parts for twice new price or junk, rusty, corroded parts for huge money it's hard not to hit the enter button with a comment. Thanks for not doing it though.

I saw the headlight switch for sale and wondered why I’d want that. I can get a new one for 20$ no shipping.

See it all the time, especially with aftermarket parts
Valve covers and tachometers come to mind

I'm not necessarily referring to repop stuff(tachs for example). Its parts that both seller or buyer may not realize are available new.
Neutral safety switches?
Anyone else?

There are two sides to every coin.

Some people want genuine made in the USA original, vintage parts.

I think full sized van door hinges are the same as the 70's A body ones that they are now repopping.

When I was goofing around with my '69 Cuda two years ago, I went to the local Advanced Auto and bought a new headlight switch for $12, and a dimmer switch for $8. Both fit and worked fine.

Another good example, dimmer switch.
When I was goofing around with my '69 Cuda two years ago, I went to the local Advanced Auto and bought a new headlight switch for $12, and a dimmer switch for $8. Both fit and worked fine.

There are two sides to every coin.

Some people want genuine made in the USA original, vintage parts.

That's very true. A good example of something I am very particular of is brake parts. I would rather have real, American casting wheel cylinders, calipers and master cylinders any day because I can rebuild them. Who know what kind of metallurgy is in these new chinkesium parts?

Crazy to buy used wiring, just buy new M&H through Yearone, why risk a fire.

True, but lots of naive newbies here and lots of people here strictly to make $$
Who wouldnt buy a new Carquest dimmer switch over a 50 year old used mopar dimmer switch?

I might not....NOW. When the dimmer switch in my F250 went out, I went through FOUR from O'Reilly. I tried the cheapest first, of course, (Master Blow) followed by BWD. Two of each. I just got my money back and found an NOS Motorcraft on EBay for less than the BWD one. Been on there over two years now and it's fine. Entirely possible it was a fluke though, because BWD made the Master Blow ones too so there could have been a bad run.

But your overall point is certainly right. I wouldn't go looking for a factory one FIRST. LOL

I've tossed out 1/2 dozen HL switches and same amount of dimmer switches.
Guess I shoulda listed them here lol. Or signed up for Secret Santa lol

I might not....NOW. When the dimmer switch in my F250 went out, I went through FOUR from O'Reilly. I tried the cheapest first, of course, (Master Blow) followed by BWD. Two of each. I just got my money back and found an NOS Motorcraft on EBay for less than the BWD one. Been on there over two years now and it's fine. Entirely possible it was a fluke though, because BWD made the Master Blow ones too so there could have been a bad run.

But your overall point is certainly right. I wouldn't go looking for a factory one FIRST. LOL
Ask @halifaxhops about new vs New old stock ignition parts.

I'll take used functional OEM over Chinesium Trash.

Every.
Single.
Time.

(If new USA-made or at least somewhere-that-ain't-China isn't an option)

This reminds me of the guy up the road. He has his personal property with his business property directly adjacent. I would "guess" around 10 +/- acres. Nice shop and house very close by and his personal house on the next lot over. All of it is for sale, as he's retiring and moving back to his home county in Georgia. My friend went by to talk it over. Guy tells him "Well it appraised for 180K but I've done about 150K worth of improvments". Appraisal was done after the improvements like about 6 months ago. Essentially, guy thinks he's gonna get 150K more than what the place is worth. Like I always say, people have the right to ask what they want for their stuff, others have the right not to buy.

Reminds me of when I was a real estate agent. Sellers would say "I just spent $25k on new windows so we have to add that to the listing price you gave me"!!

And I would say "I hope you enjoyed them because you won't get that money back. You may sell it quicker, but that's all."

Additional square footage is about the only improvement that guarantees a higher listing price.

This reminds me of the guy up the road. He has his personal property with his business property directly adjacent. I would "guess" around 10 +/- acres. Nice shop and house very close by and his personal house on the next lot over. All of it is for sale, as he's retiring and moving back to his home county in Georgia. My friend went by to talk it over. Guy tells him "Well it appraised for 180K but I've done about 150K worth of improvments". Appraisal was done after the improvements like about 6 months ago. Essentially, guy thinks he's gonna get 150K more than what the place is worth. Like I always say, people have the right to ask what they want for their stuff, others have the right not to buy.
Too bad the banks/lenders will only cover the appraised value!

-
Back