used tranny

-

Bush

Reaction score
Howdy,

How do you guys feel about purchasing a used tranny that's built. Don't know the guy but found some online do you think it's to risky? Curious on others thoughts on this one

If your referring to a 904 or 727, its far easier to just grab a core, and rebuild it, its VERY easy, plenty of information, and inexpensive to do so.

We make jokes about "Tranny's" and you left a lot to work with. :D

Ok, so you are trying to figure out if a "used tranny" that apparently wishes to be refered to as a guy is worth paying for?

EEEWWW!

We make jokes about "Tranny's" and you left a lot to work with. :D

Ok, so you are trying to figure out if a "used tranny" that apparently wishes to be refered to as a guy is worth paying for?

EEEWWW!

lol i figured as much I will see if i can get a core rebuilt

I never trust used parts. I go over them or have someone make sure that they are ok before I use them.

I bought an axle from a guy who said that it worked good before we pulled it. When I took it to my trans/axle rebuild guy that I trust, he told me that the sure grip unit was shot and needed to be replaced.

Plus, you don't know how good the guy was that built it. Or how hard they beat the hell out of it before selling it.

Buy a core and have it rebuilt by a reputable guy.

Or yourself, you can do one in your sleep, they are that simple. Stupid simple.

I've been rebuilding torqueflite's for 33 yrs. and over 90% of the ones that were brought to me from someone that was told it was recently "gone through with B&M (or you name the brand) parts" had nothing but stock worn out (as in never rebuilt at all) parts in them.

It depends on how much she's been used and how many times she's been on the Springer show.

Where is a good place for somebody that has never been into a 727 get info

Any actual good detailed books for reference. I used my phone to rebuild my dirt bike and that was a pita what's your suggestions for books

Any actual good detailed books for reference. I used my phone to rebuild my dirt bike and that was a pita what's your suggestions for books

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Torqueflite--727-Transmission-Handbook-HP1399-ebook/dp/B004FPYZQQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402432183&sr=1-1&keywords=torqueflite+727"]Amazon.com: Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook HP1399: How to Rebuild or Modify Chrysler's A-727 Torqueflite for All Applications eBook: Carl Munroe: Books[/ame]

I've been rebuilding torqueflite's for 33 yrs. and over 90% of the ones that were brought to me from someone that was told it was recently "gone through with B&M (or you name the brand) parts" had nothing but stock worn out (as in never rebuilt at all) parts in them.

My transmission lost third gear a few years back and I took it to a guy my buddy knew who runs a transmission shop. He charged me $500 to rebuild my transmission which I thought was fair. It shifted fine (for a while) after I left, so I was happy. Fast forward 5 years and we tear it apart to make sure it's going to be good for the stroker motor we're building and we found so many things that were half assed. Member VOETOM knows these things inside and out and he was surprised that my Dart even moved under it's own power let alone shift okay.

I have this book and it was invaluable asset to help me understand the inner workings of the 727. I would say, find someone who knows a little about transmissions and with this book you will be fine doing it yourself. If you get stuck on something, post a question here and someone will help you out. Good luck!

-
Back