Useful tools

-

clhyer

Reaction score
A man's got to have his toys...

Wondering what tool(s) you might have in your shop that you find is just about indispensable? Not the usual rachets, sockets, jacks, air compressor, etc; but maybe a tool that we wouldn't normally think about that you find yourself using almost all the time. Maybe a specific type of tool that we already do have, but there are better options available.

Example: I have a cheap 6" digital caliper. I find myself using it very often and wonder how I managed without it. I also have a metal ruler, somewhat flexible with a cork back to keep it from slipping, I use it all the time. I've wore out many a tape measure, but if the object is less that 18" I grab the metal rule. If it's round or a precise measurement is needed I grab the caliper. Seems I use both of these tools a lot, whether I am working on the car or doing woodworking.

I need my tool fix, can you help with ideas!
C

I use a 6 ton press alot! Seems I always need to straighten something or put bushings in a control arm or power steering pump...

-Sand Blasting Cabinet (good size one).

-Mig Welder, Set of torches and tips.

-Impact wrench!!!

-Some good drop lights for those late night wrenching sessions.

-My favorite tool is the roll of cardboard that my driveshaft came wrapped in. I roll it out under the car so I dont have to lay on the hard cement. Very handy to have a good piece of cardboard for working under the car.

A good cordles drill with a set of bits up to 5/8 and metric.
A good cheeter bar that will slip over a rachet handel and
I carry a pecker with me, you know a short handle hamer.

One tool that I ended up with for free, well for helping a friend move, is an english wheel. I thought that it would just take up space and collect dust for the most part but now I use it WAY MORE than I ever could have imagined. But the tool that I bought and cant imagine how I ever lived w/o b4 is my sand blaster. Without it I for sure would have ended up buying a completely new front suspension. But I pulled it all out, blasted it, rebushed, and rebooted it and I saved an easy $grand$. :-D

I carry a pecker with me, you know a short handle hamer.

Thanks for the good laugh Memike, I find myself really needing a good laugh today and that was it. :drinkers::drinkers::drinkers:

3/8 inch cordless impact. I've probably saved years of ratchet spinning.

I use alot of drill bits. Never can find any that will last.
Mig Welder
Hand held Grinder

I have an ice pick that cost me $1.00 back in the 70's at a local ice house. That thing comes in handy for poking, prodding ,oh and picking, more than you could imagine. I have 4 awls, they're not skinny enough.

Mguner mentioned a 6 ton press. What's a good size, general shop press? A 6 good? I wanna be able to press con rod pins, suspension bushings, etc.

I have to agree with the dial caliper statement. Even the cheapest plastic version is better than not having one.
I've got a little pic set in a plastic pouch. Picked it up from a Snap On truck years ago. 4 different stems screw into one knurled handle. Worth its weight in gold to me.
Another that is very handy , though rarely used, is a "twist to adjust' blow noozle for the air hose. Set the exact whisper of air needed whether blowing boots onto caliper pistons(its a ford thing), to blowing dust bunnies out of this computer, to inflating pool floats.

The tool that's probably saved me more than anything else is a GOOD tap & die set!!!!!

I used to be a pipe-fitter, had all the pipe fitting tools like wrap-a-rounds and centerfinders which I'm constantly finding new uses for.

Another favorite of mine is an old cow magnet vets used. It looks like a great big Tylenol and I stuck it in the end of a length of old garden hose about 18" long, and it saves me a lot of time when I drop something where my hands just won't fit.

Pnuematic Panel Flanger. I love that thing. Next up are the plastic clamps that clamp rubber hoses shut so stuff doesn't leak. Third are a couple of skinny flat blade screwdrivers that I bent with a torch and now use to break the seal on hoses and pull seals out of odd places.

This one is easy. My BFH. If I can't fix it with this tool, then don't worry about it, you will just buy a new one once this tool is done it's magic. :violent1:

This has been real good and I may have to go get that 12 ton press I was looking at.
A lot of these tools I already have.
Rick, I also have a cow magnet in my tool box but I've never thought about using a piece of hose with it. I will definately be doing that as I am sure I have some old garden hose around.
For anyone that isn't familiar with cattle magnets, they are very strong and "used to" not cost too awful much.
I also get large pieces of cardboard from the recycle center to lay on, good and very cheap.
I've looked at the drill dr. many times and always wondered if they actually worked. Now that I know, I may look at them again...
C

Magnetic telescoping pick up tool and mirrors....I can't tell you how many dropped, lost, stuck bolts, washers etc. I have been able to find, retrieve and see. Was invaluable working on my starter and not being able too see the bolts that held on the cable..

I'd be totally lost without my Dremel and the ten zillion wonderful attachments to be had for it.

Third call on the sandblaster (for obvious reasons LOL).

And STILL laughing my a$$ off at Mike talking about carrying his pecker around with him. I have to admit I don't have one of my own but I often borrow Billy's. <duckin under the desk now>

A chunk of 1/2 inch blueboard styrofoam. Awesome for laying in the gravel or concrete. And when its cold, you AREN'T. Brass Hammer

-
Back