usefullness of diagonal braces ?

-

blue missile

Reaction score
Has there been any discussion of the worth of the diagonal braces from the fire wall to the fenders.
Andrew

I think those are more for crumple control in a crash than body flex control.

We did have a thread on this about a year or so ago. Someone had pics of late dart with what looked to be factory diagonal braces. To me the factory ones looked a bit flimsy.

I can't tell you how much they would help (if any) but I'm sure they wouldn't hurt anything if you want to fab up a set and give them a try.

Just my opinion... But if they were effective on an A-Body someone would be making/selling them by now and I never see them offered.

I think they were put on there so Ma MOPAR could sell more body parts back in the day. Ever see one that had the braces and got hit on the side of the front fender? Not only does it bend the fender and inner fender but it transfers the impact up to the firewall where the braces connect and pushes it back also....

Larry

Any pictures of what you're talking about in particular?

There is a lot to be gained by stiffening the engine compartment in these cars, not sure if any factory add-on bracing would do it though. XV already makes an engine compartment and inner fender braces for the E/B bodies. They have a lower radiator brace for the A's so far, but they're supposedly working on engine compartment and inner fender braces for the A's as well.

Without stiffening unibodies are prone to quite a bit of flexing, especially when you start upping the horsepower.

EngineBrace%281%29%20-%20Web%20Large%20Photo3.jpg

Inner-Fenders%281%29%20-%20Web%20Large%20Photo.jpg

-
Back