Using 6 cyl. leafs with Caltraks.

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
O.K I have 6 cyl springs with new rubber bushings front and back.Do I need to remove these and have the solid bushings pressed in to run with the CalTraks or will I be O.K with the new rubber ones?Thanks for any input.

I use caltracs with the split mono leaf and solid alum bushing.Very firm on the street but works well. I don't see why the rubber bushing wouldn't work but I'm no engineer.

Yeah I don,t think they would be a problem either,but might soften the torque shock being thrown at them.I have CE slide-A-link on my 73 Dart Sport and had the solid bushing pressed in.Now that it,s a street car instead of racing it,maybe just swap out the leafs?Nah,too much work and the car is in my trailer in storage.Any other opinions?

O.K I,ve removed the rubber bushings from the 6 cyl. leaf springs,the front eye is 1.38 inches(inside diameter)and the solid bushing supplied is 1.50 inches.Will these front eyes open up when the 1.50 bushing is being pressed in?Thanks for any replys,if any.

I would check with a spring shop to see if it would hurt the strength of the spring eye. You might have to have the bushing milled.

DO NOT turn the 1.5" aluminum bushing down.

Call Travis and ask what they want in the front eye. If the old sleeve remains or needs to go.

DO NOT turn the 1.5" aluminum bushing down.

Call Travis and ask what they want in the front eye. If the old sleeve remains or needs to go.
Maybe I,ll just drop using the 6 cyl. leafs and just have the bushings pressed in my XHD(new)leafs.Going out now to see what leafs are in the 68 Cuda,maybe do a swap for the XHD,s.

Sounds like it would pay you to invest in a small size shop press. Thay aren't too much. You can get a nice one for under 200.

Sounds like it would pay you to invest in a small size shop press. Thay aren't too much. You can get a nice one for under 200.
Thanks for the idea,but my friend will press them in for free at his shop.He,ll only do it free cause he,s certifiying the car.LOL.So in a way,still paying.LOL.Plus I,m trying to get crap OUT of my garage,planning a move and will buy when I have a new shop.

Make sure the inner sleeve of the alum bushing has the correct bolt size.

A bodies have 5/8" and 1/2" front bolt on them.

You can jack bolt them in

What you gonna do with the 1.5" bushing?

Thanks for help Rob,just did a double check and it has the 5/8 bolt for the 5/8 sleeves.:mrgreen:

What you gonna do with the 1.5" bushing?
Shelf it.You need it?I have spares from my Slide-A-Link setup in the 73 Dart Sport.

BTDT with the bolt sizes... Then got the wrong width insert... on and on... Took a while to get it right. LOL

Yeah I could use the bushings if you have a spare.

BTDT with the bolt sizes... Then got the wrong width insert... on and on... Took a while to get it right. LOL

Yeah I could use the bushings if you have a spare.
You need both or one?I,ll send you both.I,ll e-mail you so you can give me mailing info again LOL.

-
Back