using mechanical pump?

-

7dart0

Reaction score
what parts do you actually need to run a mechanical pump on a magnum 360 with a 4 barrel carb. I am trying to get all my parts together before i buy a magnum engine. im trying to do this on a tight budget, like thats never been said before lol. i do have a front timing cover off a pre-magnum 360.

thanks tom

Just use the earlier timing chain cover, oil pan, pickup and water pump.
Also you will need a camshaft extension and fuel pump eccentric, I think hughes and mancini's have the parts.

Frankly, I"d just use a rear mount electric. It helps with fuel vapor lock problems, which have been made much worse with "alcoholized" fuels.

I know you said you're on a budget but I had Comp cams custom grind my cam on an LA core so it is long enough to use the eccentric so I didn't have to fool with the extension from Hughes.

You don't need a custom grind. Any LA Comp roller cam in the catalog that has long snout listed will work with the magnum motor using the LA timing cover with fuel pump eccentric.
Low pressure elect pump would be the cheapest way to go.

You are correct any LA style cam will work with no Hughes snout extension, I just wanted the custom grind. It wasn't cheap, I think I paid $380 to my door. I just prefer custom grind to my specs rather than off the shelf. They provided the core for that price.

But if you order "any" LA roller cam, isn't there a difference in rocker arm ratios?? What does that do for the lift? And if this is the case then, couldn't a cam from a '86-91 (rollers) LA work? They all have the mechanical fuel pump eccentric already on them (at least my '89 360 does).

But if you order "any" LA roller cam, isn't there a difference in rocker arm ratios?? What does that do for the lift? And if this is the case then, couldn't a cam from a '86-91 (rollers) LA work? They all have the mechanical fuel pump eccentric already on them (at least my '89 360 does).

couldn't a cam from a '86-91 (rollers) LA work? Yesbut they don't have much lift or duration.

On the comp specs or any cam manufacturer, look at lobe lift and multiply by 1.6 if using magnum rockers.
You end up with same duration as an LA roller with more lift. No need to go crazy on lift if stock OEM magnum heads are used. Piston to valve and retainer to valve guide seal clearance needs to be checked depending on your combo.

couldn't a cam from a '86-91 (rollers) LA work? Yesbut they don't have much lift or duration.

On the comp specs or any cam manufacturer, look at lobe lift and multiply by 1.6 if using magnum rockers.
You end up with same duration as an LA roller with more lift. No need to go crazy on lift if stock OEM magnum heads are used. Piston to valve and retainer to valve guid e seal clearance needs to be checked depending on your combo.
Ok, so if one was going to drop a 360 mag from a truck into a older car, and was shooting for a "similar" motor like the 300 horse power crate motor, what cam (part #) would you order to have the mechanical fuel pump eccentric? Is there a cam that would run as smooth, work well with stock magnum valve train, and perhaps add an extra 15-20? Say, a 320 horsepower 360 magnum?

You are correct any LA style cam will work with no Hughes snout extension, I just wanted the custom grind. It wasn't cheap, I think I paid $380 to my door. I just prefer custom grind to my specs rather than off the shelf. They provided the core for that price.

Boy they sure saw you comin. Oregon would have ground it for 125 plus another 50 for the core.

Ok, so if one was going to drop a 360 mag from a truck into a older car, and was shooting for a "similar" motor like the 300 horse power crate motor, what cam (part #) would you order to have the mechanical fuel pump eccentric? Is there a cam that would run as smooth, work well with stock magnum valve train, and perhaps add an extra 15-20? Say, a 320 horsepower 360 magnum?

Here's a good street cam and would be .512 lift 1.6 rocker with perfect geometry.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=655&sb=2

As RRR said Oregon Cam regrind would be much cheaper.

Boy they sure saw you comin. Oregon would have ground it for 125 plus another 50 for the core.

I actually talked to Oregon and Bullet so I'm not an idiot like you think. Neither company could get the LSA to 110 like I wanted. Stock Magnum cams are mostly 114 LSA and they can't grind them to 110.

Mine was a budget build but I was willing to pay good money for the cam I wanted.

-
Back