Using mustang rotors for 4.5" bc

-
Longgone said:
The seal # crossed over to a 16743 and it fits! Yes it`s a tight fit but the grease is in and the elements are out. Thanks grim, here`s a couple pics of the rotors on.

Where did you get the seal?

As for the rear studs....I just got 1/2" replacments for my stock axles....the knurl is the same on the chrysler studs .....

69 DART"420" said:
GOOD TO KNOW THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK I WILL B DOING THIS SOON :thumbup:

I`d suggest for anyone doing this, take your original rotors (or at least one)with you so that your machinist can use them as a guide.

Dusterb318 said:
As for the rear studs....I just got 1/2" replacments for my stock axles....the knurl is the same on the chrysler studs .....

That`s useful information. When I had my axles redrilled for the 4.5"bc Moser threaded in the new studs to save material on the axle.

Longgone said:
That`s useful information. When I had my axles redrilled for the 4.5"bc Moser threaded in the new studs to save material on the axle.

John:

Do they spot weld the inside of the screwed in studs so they don't back out? I'm assuming they do....

OldVart said:
John:

Do they spot weld the inside of the screwed in studs so they don't back out? I'm assuming they do....

You would think that would be the case but no, they use lock washers. So far so good.

Longgone said:
I`d suggest for anyone doing this, take your original rotors (or at least one)with you so that your machinist can use them as a guide.

That is good idea.Is the seal bore a stock measurement as well?

ramhemi said:
That is good idea.Is the seal bore a stock measurement as well?

The seal bore is larger in diameter on the Ford rotor than the Mopar, that`s why a special seal has to be used. The seal bore is cut down as well to match the cut of the race.

ramhemi said:
Will this work on a 1970 Dart?I can get the KH brake from a guy.

This rotor swap should work on all 67-72 A-body Mopars equipped with factory KH disc brakes. This rotor swap is intended ONLY for those cars that have KH 4 piston calipers with the 4"bc because of their unique spindles. If the car doesn`t already have the disc spindles,etc. it may not be cost effective. If all of the parts are free and in good condition then you might consider it but it would be a lot of work. The 4 piston caliper is a good braking system usually employed on trucks and high performance cars and is worth keeping if you can.

Hey Longgone. you said that we just need the rotor right? Or do we also need the hub off a mustang? The pic you have shows the hub and rotor. Just making sure. I would like to do this but want to get everything needed. Thanks
Jeff

HemiPar said:
Hey Longgone. you said that we just need the rotor right? Or do we also need the hub off a mustang? The pic you have shows the hub and rotor. Just making sure. I would like to do this but want to get everything needed. Thanks
Jeff

Unlike the original 2 piece hub/rotor on your Mopar ,the Mustang hub and rotor assembly #141017, combines the hub and rotor in one casting.

i would like to put out a huge thank you to longgone and everyone else involved for doing the legwork on this upgrade and figuring out what is required to do this mod. I just finished it and it worked out awesome. thank you so much again. you made my life a lot easier, cause i'll be the first to admit i'm a little lazy when it comes to figuring these things out. :headbang:

69 modtop said:
i would like to put out a huge thank you to longgone and everyone else involved for doing the legwork on this upgrade and figuring out what is required to do this mod. I just finished it and it worked out awesome. thank you so much again. you made my life a lot easier, cause i'll be the first to admit i'm a little lazy when it comes to figuring these things out. :headbang:

That`s what it`s all about, sharing info to make the hobby more enjoyable for everyone. :salute:

Can you say put this in the tech archives STAT. Awesome. SSBC uses the Mustang stuff for their conversions as far as I know.

I was told one could also use a 66 B-Body rotor as they were BBC K-H systems anyone know for sure. Althou this seams like a more viable solution as there are more mustang parts suppliers.

I was told one could also use a 66 B-Body rotor as they were BBC K-H systems anyone know for sure. Althou this seams like a more viable solution as there are more mustang parts suppliers.

The B-body rotor won`t work because the spindles are longer on those cars and more discouraging is those particular rotors are quite rare and expensive. You`re right about the Mustang parts................very plentiful and affordable.

Hey Guys, Check out www.brakewarehouse.com
I just bought mustang rotors for 124 shipped.
I also have previously bought the 4" bolt pattern rotors for $69 a pair shipped to my door. I have had good luck dealing with them so far & couldn't beat the prices anywhere else.
Thanks for the reference to this site John, can't wait to get the manifolds from you & try out the rotor swap on my 69 383 car.

Hey Guys, Check out www.brakewarehouse.com
I just bought mustang rotors for 124 shipped.
I also have previously bought the 4" bolt pattern rotors for $69 a pair shipped to my door. I have had good luck dealing with them so far & couldn't beat the prices anywhere else.
Thanks for the reference to this site John, can't wait to get the manifolds from you & try out the rotor swap on my 69 383 car.

That must be you Pat. Welcome to FABO! The Dart came home today :cheers: and your manifolds will go out tomorrow:cheers:. Glad to see you here and let us know how the swap turns out.

The specifications for the mystery seal are as follows:

O.D.- 2.506
I.D.- 1.730

If you know of any seal that fits these specs please post it here. Thanks- John

Width -.250

Why can't you use a 1.750 ID, Chicago Rawhide has these with the 2.506 OD?

-
Back