Using mustang rotors for 4.5" bc

-
Why can't you use a 1.750 ID, Chicago Rawhide has these with the 2.506 OD?

Those seals will certainly work for you but if you have to fudge on the size then you fudge a little smaller rather than larger. The best thing would be to find a seal that fits precisely, but so far we haven`t had any luck.

How's the seals working out longgone? It's been a couple of months, everything still holding together?

I have a spare set of KH spindles and calipers, no hubs or rotors...so they are perfect candidates for this type of conversion.

How's the seals working out longgone? It's been a couple of months, everything still holding together?

I have a spare set of KH spindles and calipers, no hubs or rotors...so they are perfect candidates for this type of conversion.

Those would be great for a conversion. The seals have been no problem, grease is inside, moisture out.

I also plan on doing this swap. Do these mustang rotors move the wheel from its stock location? Just curious so I can select the correct wheel offset.

Thanks

haha i know alot of guys that are like 100% mopar and they stick too it...my car on the other hand is made from a ton of different vehicals...so really whatever works best is the way to go....its always better to have good stopping power then not having any at all...

haha i know alot of guys that are like 100% mopar and they stick too it...my car on the other hand is made from a ton of different vehicals...so really whatever works best is the way to go....its always better to have good stopping power then not having any at all...

That`s funny when you say 100% Mopar because most every car made then and now is made up of parts from subcontractors that made parts to a certain spec and sold them to the car manufacturer. For instance my 68 Barracuda has/had Kelsey Hayes calipers/spindles with a Bendix master cylinder. Some of the 67 Mustangs had the same parts supplied by KH and Bendix too. Truth is our cars are made up of parts from the lowest bidder. I do know what you mean about some people getting "weird" over anything on their Mopars that`s not OEM though. Lol!

I also plan on doing this swap. Do these mustang rotors move the wheel from its stock location? Just curious so I can select the correct wheel offset.

Thanks

No, after machining of the Mustang rotor the wheel is in the same position as it was from the factory. The only comment I`ve heard is that sometimes an extra washer may have to be added to the end of the spindle before the locking nut is installed. It seems that some of the spindles are not threaded deep enough so that the lock nut will tighten down without bottoming out first. This may indicate that the wheel is further in the width of a washer.

The stock Mopar KH 4-piston disc calipers use the exact same pistons, dust boots and brake pads as those on a Mustang...same part number! I draw the line at a Chevy motor in a Mopar....no thanks.

The stock Mopar KH 4-piston disc calipers use the exact same pistons, dust boots and brake pads as those on a Mustang...same part number! I draw the line at a Chevy motor in a Mopar....no thanks.

Oh come on throw a small block chevy in there you can get 500 hp for like 5 bucks through summit that stuff is cheap:iconbigg::iconbigg::iconbigg:

Oh come on throw a small block chevy in there you can get 500 hp for like 5 bucks through summit that stuff is cheap:iconbigg::iconbigg::iconbigg:

I've always thought would be cool take a nice 69 camaro and throw in a ford
motor and take it to some all chevy shows, just to piss off some chevy guys.
They all seam to be fanatics, and don't seam to have a sense of humor.
I've got a friend who's a all ford guy. he likes to go to shows stand around
a bunch of chevys and say "Whats with all these chevys, are all the junk yards full ?" its fun to watch peoples reaction, some guys just freak out.

Car Craft just had that article last month. They locked 2 monkeys in a warehouse and had a 283 pushing 817 HP on pump gas with a rochester 2 bbl.

Oh yeah.... they had a 700 shot of spray on it. :tongue:

All kidding aside, that's a monster revelation that for like $200 I can up-grade the front rotors to 4.5". Throw in another C note for the rears and I can order those Weld Pro Star 5 spokes I dream of.

Thank you for doing the research. AWESOME tip !!!! :salute:

MAKE SURE THIS GOES IN THE ARCHIVES!!!

I picked up a pair of mustang rotors to make this conversion on my 69 barracuda. After taking a lot of measurements it appears to me that the outside bearing will bottom out on the spindle before it preloads the outer bearing race if you move the rotor in by moving the inner bearing race in by 0.270". Based on the rough measurements that I've taken it looks to me like the outer bearing race needs to move out by about 0.130" to keep the distance between the two bearings similar to the distance between the bearings on the stock barracuda rotor. Anyone else run into this?

I picked up a pair of mustang rotors to make this conversion on my 69 barracuda. After taking a lot of measurements it appears to me that the outside bearing will bottom out on the spindle before it preloads the outer bearing race if you move the rotor in by moving the inner bearing race in by 0.270". Based on the rough measurements that I've taken it looks to me like the outer bearing race needs to move out by about 0.130" to keep the distance between the two bearings similar to the distance between the bearings on the stock barracuda rotor. Anyone else run into this?

Anyone that did this care to update how things are working ? I looked at doing this last year but didn't want to have to machine the rotor , maybe I've had my mind changed ?

Anyone that did this care to update how things are working ? I looked at doing this last year but didn't want to have to machine the rotor , maybe I've had my mind changed ?

I`ve had mine done for about a year and a half. I`ve put about 1000 miles on the car and have had the car up to 120mph with no issues. I`ve had one guy email me with problems machining a rotor but for the most part I haven`t heard of any trouble with the swap. I would like to hear of any successes or failures from those who have tried the rotor swap.

The one thing I am curious about is how is that seal holding up , thats a little too much of a difference in size for me .

Hello, I have been studying this thread and toying with the idea of using the mustang rotors. Has anyone done any more research on this?

Great thread!! I have the KH brake set up and want to do this. If anyone has more to add before I go to my partguy,please speak up!

My parts guy is a real Macgyver,used to work as a mechanic in a junkyard and used to making all sorts of strange stuff work together. In fact,thats his nickname!

I printed this thread for him in the hopes that he can help perfect this swap.

I just did this mod a couple months ago. not too difficult. I am very pleased with the results. Let me know if you need any info.

I just did this mod a couple months ago. not too difficult. I am very pleased with the results. Let me know if you need any info.

That`s always good to hear, if you had any ups or downs please expound on it and of course post any pics you might have.

This is a cool way to upgrade to the 4.5" bolt circle without changing everything to the 1973 - 76 A body setup.

If you already have the 4" SBC K-H setup and you want to stay with that, be aware of the following info. that addresses current parts availability/pricing.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please be aware that Centric is manufacturing K-H 4" bolt circle rotors for A bodies. The rotors are inexpensive and are quality pieces.

See info. listed below:

Did you check the price for the new Centric rotors???

What a steal! $21.20 --- and Centric is an EXCELLENT quality supplier!

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?PN...ND(universal:0)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Recent thread concerning availability of SBC disc brake parts:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=68108&highlight=Centric

That`s always good to hear, if you had any ups or downs please expound on it and of course post any pics you might have.

I didn't take any pics, here's a diagram of what happened. the seal wound up riding about .040 out (towards the spindle nut) than origional, which is fine. The seat depth is the most critical cut. I first tried to have the machinist match the stock rotor, that didn't go very well. Then I installed just the outer bearing, washer and nut and bottomed it out, measured from the end of the spindle to the nut. Then installed the new rotor and had them cut the difference, minus about .010 so the bearing wouldn't bottom. That's why I don't have a solid number on how much to cut.
Find a meticulous machinist, mine was used to working on tractor parts I think.

rotor.jpg

I can't wait to try this mod.. I have a set of KH spindles, dust shields, calipers.. will these work on my 68 dart that came equiped with drum brakes?

I didn't take any pics, here's a diagram of what happened. the seal wound up riding about .040 out (towards the spindle nut) than origional, which is fine. The seat depth is the most critical cut. I first tried to have the machinist match the stock rotor, that didn't go very well. Then I installed just the outer bearing, washer and nut and bottomed it out, measured from the end of the spindle to the nut. Then installed the new rotor and had them cut the difference, minus about .010 so the bearing wouldn't bottom. That's why I don't have a solid number on how much to cut.
Find a meticulous machinist, mine was used to working on tractor parts I think.

That`s exactly what I was referring to, each mod seems to be just a little different. I appreciate the input.

I can't wait to try this mod.. I have a set of KH spindles, dust shields, calipers.. will these work on my 68 dart that came equiped with drum brakes?

Yes, once you`ve installed the disc brake spindles, you can then incorporate the machined Mustang rotors and the original calipers.

-
Back