using neutral safety hookup on 4sp

-

Patrick

Reaction score
Hi all,
Couldn't find anything on this in the archives... Just converted from 904 to 4 sp on my 65 valiant and would like to use the old neutral safety switch so that the car won't start unless the 4sp is in neutral. Believe that all this wire did was provide a ground... Is there a way to use it with the back-up light switch on the tranny itself? The switch on the 4sp has two prongs.
Thanks for the help!
Patrick

You could put a micro switch on the clutch pedal so it would only start with the pedal pressed down ( basically neutral) .

Brewers Performance, offers this type switch. maybe adaptable to A body with a little inovation. but for the price, I`d wiggle my shifter in neutral and start:-D

As the man said, you can use a micro switch. I had the original clutch pedal safety switch bracket, but the actual switch was broken. I rigged up the micro switch to replace the original switch and provide ground to the starter relay when the clutch pedal is depressed. I was able to use the original wiring between the switch and starter relay.

Clutch Switch Fix.JPG

Thanks guys - so i guess i'll pick up a micro switch and fab a bracket to the clutch pedal!

you could use a factory brake lamp switch and copy that mount design. Very dependable

-
Back