USPS wonders why it looses money.

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a shifter from Scott and well.......................here is where it's been.

Mind you he is just across the border from me.

Priority Mail International Parcels

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

June 7, 2013, 11:59 am

ALLEN PARK, MI 48101

International Parcels

Depart USPS Sort Facility

June 6, 2013

GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512

June 6, 2013, 2:46 pm

GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512

Depart USPS Sort Facility

June 5, 2013

ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

June 5, 2013, 8:23 am

ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed Through Sort Facility

June 4, 2013, 8:16 pm

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Processed Through Sort Facility

June 4, 2013, 4:59 am

TORONTO-A, CANADA

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Acceptance

June 3, 2013, 12:46 pm

CANADA

Instead of going from Toronto directly to a Michigan facility and out for delivery, it's been to Chicago, Elk Grove, back up to Grand Rapids and then to Allen Park.

Now to get from Grand Rapids to Allen Park ....................which by the way is just over the border from Toronto. (Detroit area) I have actually hauled mail out of there.

THEY HAVE TO DRIVE RIGHT PAST THE FACILITY THAT SORTS MY MAIL AND SENDS IT OUT FOR DELIVERY.

I know for a fact that trucks run from GR to Lansing multiple times a day. So now the package will be on a truck heading right back up the same road to Lansing to be delivered out. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

If I send something from my P.O. in Gillette to my mom who lives in Gillette theUSPS sends it to Casper WY to be sorted then back to Gillette so they can save money.

They shut down the local distribution center here in my town and now if I want mail something to anyone in Kalamazoo, it first has to go from here to Grand Rapids and then back here. Absolutely crazy.

They shut down the local distribution center here in my town and now if I want mail something to anyone in Kalamazoo, it first has to go from here to Grand Rapids and then back here. Absolutely crazy.

Since when, we haul mail out of there every day.

Anytime I send something with any size.....intake manifold is a good example. It can be going from here in Georgia to say Colorado. You know where it goes first? JACKSONVILLE, FL. I mean really WTF?

Another fine example. We live about 20 miles NE of the center of Macon, Georgia.......BUT because of how the zip codes are laid out, we have a Macon mailing address, even though we don't live in the county Macon is in. Keep in mind, I said we are NE of Macon. Know where the substation is that handles our zip code? In SOUTH Macon. So, if somehow we miss a package, we have to drive over 30 miles to retreive it.

It gets better. Our rural carriers NEVER come up my driveway to deliver something that will not fit in my mailbox, so that means they are supposed to leave a notice. They rarely do that either. I have to end up calling in to see if I have a package over 30 miles away.

You really wanna know what the UPSP's problem is? Nobody gives a continental DAMN about doing their job.

I just checked the mileage, it has traveled approximately 890 miles. From where it originated to here through the sort facility is 290.

I have a package at a sorting facilty in ohio, has been scaned every day since may 25th to got out to my local post office but never gets shipped. After 8 phone calls was told that the sorting machine will kick it out SOMEDAY as a bad package but they don't know when that will be and no one will walk out and fine the package.

Wow, crazy ain't it? ^^^^^^^^^^^

Well I'm guessing since it hit Allen Park it will be here tomorrow, unless of course it needs to go to Kalifournia via the south pole.

at least it looks like your mail is getting through.....i sent a box to Mr. Geof (cosgig) six weeks ago and the tracking number info shows that its been in Denver all this time which is on the way from southern Colorado to MI. i am having to do a MRE search now to recover it. :banghead:

Phoenix is 85 miles south of me and a member sent me a part that went to cali and back, then up here.

3 days from Canada to the U.S. seems pretty good time considering
it had to go through our customs your customs and then tim buck two.
It takes 3 to 4 days for letters to go from B.C. to Ontario with no borders.
I love U.S.P.S. I use them for everything I buy out of the States. I never
get hooped with brokerage fees and only once where I had to pay a tax fee
for a new item and it was minimal. $6 bucks or something. I just had a new gas tank
delievered for my 68 cuda $112.00 for tank $100 for shipping USPS was here 5 days
after purchased. $320 plus tax plus to buy one here, and it was sitting on my door step when I got home from work. Nothing
but good things to say about shipping Via USPS and Canada post, next best shipper
to them is Grey hound. UPS and FED EX are bandits and parcel destroyers.
Cheers.

Oh I'm not having a problem with the time frame, it just puzzles me why it had to go to Chicago, than back to Michigan, and then go right past my sorting facility to Allen Park just to be sent back to Lansing. Sounds like a lot of handling to me.

We have multiple trucks a day running these routes, it would seem as though it would have gone from GR directly to Lansing.

I agree , it seems to be the long way around , but they are shipping bulk
to the larger facilities and from there to all the smaller ones and then to us.
I think it is probably cheaper for them in the long run. Instead of having a billion trucks running all over, and they still seem to get er done. LOL.
Cheers.

I agree , it seems to be the long way around , but they are shipping bulk to the larger facilities and from there to all the smaller ones and then to us.

And that's what puzzled me. The Detroit facility is huge, I haul mail out of it, but instead they sent it to Chicago.

I dunno, there has to be a better way. Sending a package on a nearly 900 mile trip to cover less than 300 makes no sense to me.

To bad you could not just intercept your packages in Detroit.
Definetly sound like somethings not running right.

Definitelysound like somethings not running right.

LOL, at Christmas time they put me on as an extra, I normally haul freight, for the first week I usually drive from point a to b to c and haul nothing. When I first started doing this they guys at the shop in the mail division told me "we don't get paid to haul, we get paid to drive". They were right, last Christmas season I drove to three facilities every night for a week and didn't haul as much as an envelope. Got paid good doing it though.

The post office is loosing $25 million dollars a day!

That's $25,000,000.00 A DAY!

...and it's all tax dollars, too.:banghead:

WOW Bruce I,m speachless..I thought you would,ve had it by now.Hope its there by Monday.:violent1:

Got it today Scott, thanks again.

I just started this thread because I just can't get my head around how they ship stuff. It is amazing to me that they can't streamline their operations.

I live 25 miles south of Ft Wayne, IN. If I mail a letter at the post office in my town to my next door neighbor it goes to Ft. Wayne first where it is postmarked then it is returned to my town for delivery. So it will travel 50 miles to go 200 feet. I NEVER mail my neighbor anything!!! They say it saves them money.

Ben

-
Back