Uuggggghhhhhh

-
I had a guy hire me to do a rear main seal on his 63 wagon.
1st off the old seal was half backwards....so i do the seal 'in car and right' and it leaks again....so because i know i did it right, i pulled the damn motor and checked the seal cap and journal....sure enough..the journal had been rusty at some point and was pitted to hell so that it wouldnt seal 'he engine was a bunch of crappy core parts thrown into a rebuild' the surface had no lines visible anymore, totally rusted away...
SO...I go and pick up the guy's other motor that is supposedly a rebuild he bought for 200 bucks......yeah right, as im switching int/exh manifolds i decide to poke my finger into the ex port and push on the valve, it rocks back and forth in the guide BIG TIME.....SO I tell him and he's like f it. After then going to do a pan gasket on it for good measure ...i decide to pull a rod cap.....copper and corrosion is what i find, the bearing are washed out, it's a stock pos motor that he was ripped off when buying.

When it comes to slants/used slants, ive seen more crooks than good guys.

I had a slant exhaust manifold with broken bolts. I took it to the local Riebes machine shop and the guy wanted 125 bucks to drill out the 2 bolts. I told him he was crazy. I then went to my neighbor, who is a machinist and he gave me a carbide bit. I drilled em out in less than 10 minutes and re-tapped the holes. It's working just fine now.

What I've learned working on my dart, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever fork over cash to someone until AFTER you're SURE you know what you're getting. If you don't, you're playing Russian roulette with the revolver pointed at your foot.

It's not even a matter of people not being honest, I've bought parts that people didn't know were broken. I've bought parts that the owners didn't even know what they were. and then there's the delightful old chestnut "It ran when I parked it." Which doesn't mean jack squat, whether they're honest or not. It only matters if it runs NOW.

The beauty of craigslist is you can get deals on stuff you can't find anywhere else, the ugly is you can get burned if you're not careful.

Trust me, broken bolts aren't even something I'd have reduced my offer over. You want to use new bolts anyway. Now, if it was warped to where it wouldn't seal, or cracked, that would be a deal breaker.

What are you in need of? I have a few slant parts taking up space and I'm local.

-
Back