V-belt pulleys

-
the bracket does have a little spacer built on to it right there, I'll take a picture of it and post it.
You thinking it's not enough spacer and I should try stacking some washers right there? There is three bolt holes to mount the bracket to the pump body and they all have little spacers built on to it.

Ok never mind I just went and took some pics I'll post below and you guys tell me if this is the bolt your talking about that needs some washers stacked there to act as a spacer cause there wasn't a spacer there which is strange cause there is spacers behind the other two bolt hole locations.

image.jpeg

Roger, that is the one. I did not think I could see any spacer back there. (Your pix were quite helpful BTW.)

IIRC, I had one PS pump one some car in the past where that bolt hole in the PS pump had a stud sticking out of it, and there was a nut on that stud that was adjusted up against the back of the bracket to set the angle of the pump within the brackets.

So you could do that too: take out the bolt and sub substitute and stud with 2 nuts (and 1 lock washer on the front side) to clamp it to the bracket and allow for adjustment.

The PS hole would have to be a blind hole for that to work, so you could bottom the stud in the hole and locktite it in. You gotta be careful as it could just butt right up against the thin front wall of the pump body and that wold not be wise to run a stud against.

I can't believe this brand new set of brackets didn't have a spacer at that spot for that reason cause it's clearly sitting **** eyed to the crankshaft pulley.
I showed the pics to another guy on another site trying to get his opinion and he seems to think I need to space all of the brackets out away from the engine a little bit.
But i can see how just spacing that one location would push the pump back towords the engine in that spot and that's really where it needs to be pushed back.
The rest of the pump and brackets look to be in the right spot except for that last corner of the pump closest to the frame. That's where the ps pump pulley seems to be pointing out further then the rest of the ps pump pulley.

Well I stacked some washers behind that bolt we talked about and it didn't solve the issue, the pump is still sitting **** eyed when it's mounted up.
I'm totally lost as to what the issue is here, and beyond frustrated.

Well your pump is different than the one in the picture, I don't think the PS reservoir is supposed to hit the bracket you bought. I am not an expert on this but that looks wrong.

Well your pump is different than the one in the picture, I don't think the PS reservoir is supposed to hit the bracket you bought. I am not an expert on this but that looks wrong.
That is what first clued me in on this not being right.

That's because it says right on then instructions this bracket kit will work
With both Saginaw and federal
Style power steering pumps.

A guy I had look this over told me that every bracket that touches the engine and the water pump need to be spaced out a little bit to get the ps pump pulley inline with the crankshaft pulley.
So that's what I'm going to try next, if that doesn't work then I'm converting to serpentine.

I have a 99 Durango with the 360 magnum that we bought for parts and I already pulled the alternator and the power steering pump and all the brackets and tensioners and pulleys and the water pump and timing cover.
Although I'd most likely buy a new water pump and ps pump and alternator I have everything I need to convert to serpentine minus an electric pump cause I am running a 4 bbl carb.
I don't know why this la style v-belt ps pump won't line up with the crank pulley.
The only thing I can think of is maybe the harmonic balancer on my 360 magnum sticks out further then a harmonic balancer on la 318 and 360 and that's pushing the crankshaft pulley forward towords the radiator more making the ps pump pulley sit to far behind the crank pulley.

I cant tell is the triangular plate that bolts to the water pump in the correct place? you should be able to see 2 plates under the adjustment bolt.

Our car has the other p/s pump, so I can't help you with pictures...

I cant tell is the triangular plate that bolts to the water pump in the correct place? you should be able to see 2 plates under the adjustment bolt.
Yes the triangular piece is in the correct place.
I was told by someone else that the brackets need to be spaced out towords the radiator because as it sits now the pulley isn't inline with the crank pulley.
For whatever reason? I'm thinking it must be the thickness of my harmonic balancer? Because that's what the crankshaft pulley bolts too.

Im amazed more people haven't ran into this issue when doing magnum swaps into cars and running the la timing cover and water pump and pulleys.
I can't be the only one, I'm thinking this has to be an issue with ether the heads not being as thick or thicker or the block not being the same depth as an la block or the harmonic balancer isn't the same thickness.
Something is going on that I just don't understand because I put the ps brackets together in the correct locations and it just isn't lining the ps pump pulley inline with the crankshaft pulley.

Lay a straight edge across the front of the PS pump pulley, and see if it forms a line that is parallel to the crank pulley. In that way, you'll see if it is cocked or just forward or aft too far. Then you can space as needed to either 'uncock' it, or move the pump o forward or back.

BTW, your 2nd pix in post #15 sure makes it look like the PS pump pulley is cocked. I've lost track but is the water pump pulley lining up right now?

BTW, the instructions that are shown in your pix say that these brackets are for both styles of Saginaw pumps, but does not say it is for both Saginaw and Federal. I have to question the pump being used on these brackets, like Trapster mentioned.

Last edited:
nm9stheham said:
Lay a straight edge across the front of the PS pump pulley, and see if it forms a line that is parallel to the crank pulley. In that way, you'll see if it is cocked or just forward or aft too far. Then you can space as needed to either 'uncock' it, or move the pump o forward or back.

BTW, your 2nd pix in post #15 sure makes it look like the PS pump pulley is cocked. I've lost track but is the water pump pulley lining up right now?

BTW, the instructions that are shown in your pix say that these brackets are for both styles of Saginaw pumps, but does not say it is for both Saginaw and Federal. I have to question the pump being used on these brackets, like Trapster mentioned.

Excellent Sir!!! & thx added !!!
The 'federal' & 'saginaw' (sourced same same from TRW) pumps had very different 'cast in' mount points on the PUMP BODY !!!
Good Holy Lord, I have fought this battle sooooo many times---
pjc360...
Not to 'drop a lump of coal in yer co-co-puffs' , how about You take Your
original brackets ( now that You have the correct pulleys) , eyeball straighten,
Install & post pics.
---With Respects---

I know these power steering brackets I bought are th correct brackets for the pump I am running.
The pump I am running is a Saginaw style pump that came on the mid to late 70s small blocks in the dodge trucks.
The brackets I took off are the exact same as the brackets I bought new, only difference is the brackets that I had on before are super old and tweeked and bent from the pump belt being on the wrong pulley.
The water pump pulley is lining up now, the alternator belt is perfectly straight going over the water pump pulley and the crankshaft pulley.
I'll post some more pics later tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work and can mess with it some more.

Oh and I forgot to mention I confirmed that the ps pump pulley is not bent or tweeked and it is installed Correctly.
It's on the ps pump shaft perfectly.
So this issue is not the ps pump pulley.
Like I've said before I'm beginning to think it's because this engine is a crate 360 magnum with the la style water pump and timing cover.
I'm starting to think the block depth is just a little different to throw off the ps pump belt.
That has to be the issue because nothing else makes sense

I know these power steering brackets I bought are the correct brackets for the pump I am running.
The pump I am running is a Saginaw style pump that came on the mid to late 70s small blocks in the dodge trucks.
But here is what says different: the instructions say that the Saginaw pumps for these brackets have an oval filler neck...yours has a round filler neck. Your reservoir is different from the oval necked ones, and sits a lot further forward, and it likely just hitting the bracket. The oval necked one would not. You can find some good pix on the Classic Industries site and see. Just because this pump was run on 70's trucks does not prove that these brackets match that style of reservior.

Sorry, been working and traveling 10-14 hours each of the last few days. That looks like the one that the instructions refer to. How it butts up to the bracket differently than what you have, I can't say with certainty. May be you can buy one and just test fit it to see if it fits up differently.

no apology nessasery, you've been a lot of help to me.
So I went to Napa to get the older style Saginaw pump and pulled it out of the box and realized it takes a threaded on pulley?
I've never seen a threaded on ps pump pulley, mine has always been pressed on and off.
So I couldn't get that pump without a pulley, but I think I'm going to order a pulley and then get that pump and see how it lines up when bolted up with these brackets.
I finally got it some what straight with this pump I have, what I ended up doing was spacing the brackets out that touch the water pump, the little bracket that goes to the block that has the sleeved adjustment bolt going to it I left alone and didn't space out.
And it's not 100 percent inline with the crank pulley but if day it's about 90 percent there and I think it will be ok to be tan this way for a little while untill I can get the threaded on pulley and try the older style pump and see how that works.
Here are some pics of how close I got it by spacing out the brackets that touch the water pump and leaving the bracket alone that bolts behind the pump at the block.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yeah that looks a WHOLE lot better! Good for you.. just old fashioned hot rodding. You're not alone......my son an I are going to be modifying some bracket mounts for a Sanden AC compressor, after a pulley change to fix a poor belt layout put the AC belt where it interferes with the water pump pulley..... just part of the fun!

-
Back