V10 Dodge Dart Demon or Sport

-

warren_454

Reaction score
I had a muscle car mag quite a few years ago with a V10 Dodge Dart Demon or Sport with a front flip front end. I was wondering if any know of any pic's online or any other projects like this.

It's been talked about alot, but to my knowledge only done once. The general concencus every time is it would be cheaper to build about anything else than put that v10 in there.

well lets hear about it ?? i may research used VIPER MOTORS,, see how it may fit in my 66..that would be killer,,

found another one takin a few years back

Attachments

• A-1971_Dodge_Demon_ProStreet_LeftFront.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 822
well lets hear about it ?? i may research used VIPER MOTORS,, see how it may fit in my 66..that would be killer,,

Not much to be said about it. If it fits under your hood, it's no more difficult than installing a Gen 3 Hemi. Get the computer flashed, send the wire harness to hot wire for them to build a custom harness, build headers, motor mounts, and fuel system. Chrysler even produced a book to give all the specs, measurements, tips and parts to make it easy. Size matters in this case because most will need to cut the firewall and possibly move a radiator into the core. The engine is LONG! Just cuz a slant fits doesn't mean the V10 will. It's also HEAVY! I don't know how heavy an iron big block is, but the V10 is around 620-650 pounds, depending on which resource you're looking at.

there were some pics on big block dart at one time. It's a black early 70's Dart, iron truck engine. I might have a pic on my computer at home. I'll certainly have alot of pics in 5 months.

Not much to be said about it. If it fits under your hood, it's no more difficult than installing a Gen 3 Hemi. Get the computer flashed, send the wire harness to hot wire for them to build a custom harness, build headers, motor mounts, and fuel system. Chrysler even produced a book to give all the specs, measurements, tips and parts to make it easy. Size matters in this case because most will need to cut the firewall and possibly move a radiator into the core. The engine is LONG! Just cuz a slant fits doesn't mean the V10 will. It's also HEAVY! I don't know how heavy an iron big block is, but the V10 is around 620-650 pounds, depending on which resource you're looking at.

didnt think an aluminum motor would be that heavy,, the iron truck block would be a no go for sure in an early A,,, im sure the fire wall would have to be modified also,,wish i was younger and had more free time,,, ide atempt it,,,,

You're welcome to live vicariously through my build, or better yet, you can come up (or over depending on where on the East coast) to Michigan in December, turn some wrenches and burn some metal...

Two things:

If the 488ci Viper V-10 is supposed to be a 5.9 block with two extra cylinders and a one-belt wacky serpentine pulley set-up...

1. It's pretty clear that moving the firewall back is necessary (weight distribution would be horrible otherwise)

2. Wouldn't a 727/904 bolt up fine? I've only seen 5 and 6 speeds behind them in B & E Bodies when the V-10 conversion has been done

There are a handful of Vipers running around that have been converted to autos (one done at the factory from what I understand), but I don't think the bell bolt pattern is the same. Based on conversations I had with Quick Time it didn't seem like it.

There are a handful of Vipers running around that have been converted to autos (one done at the factory from what I understand), but I don't think the bell bolt pattern is the same. Based on conversations I had with Quick Time it didn't seem like it.

Oh well. Either way Will, you have to admit that: a V-10, a 727, an A-Body shell, and a tape measurer = A DREAM SATURDAY.

You're welcome to live vicariously through my build, or better yet, you can come up (or over depending on where on the East coast) to Michigan in December, turn some wrenches and burn some metal...

thanks for the invite,,, that would be kool,,, if i come to mich it will be in feb or march,for auto rama,,,,,and i am following your build,,,,

The Demon in the picture does NOT have a Viper motor, it has a big block with "Viper" on the valve covers. I know the guy who owned/owns the car, we were stationed together in the Air Force at F.E.Warren AFB in Cheyenne Wyoming. We were two of the founding members of the "Wyoming Mighty Mopars". Check out this link for detail on Sam's Demon. (Click on link; click "Member's Cars"; then click "71 Dodge Demon")

http://www.freewebs.com/spacecountrycruzers/

Attachments

• 442_dodge-demon-1971---13.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 620
there were some pics on big block dart at one time. It's a black early 70's Dart, iron truck engine. I might have a pic on my computer at home. I'll certainly have alot of pics in 5 months.

This is the Finnish one, pictures are taken by me in 2006

-
Back