V8-287 4.7l Sohc

-
The 4.7 came out in 99 (I think) and is still inuse today in rams & Durango's & Dakots. I think in the new Daks its 310 hp
It's a sohc motor. it started as a 240hp. It has aluminum heads and a cast iron block. It realpsced the old 318

Not sure of perf parts .

Is it a hemi design or inline valves, small cubes, overhead cam, should be able to get some high revs out of it.

It's not considered a Hemi, but the valves are driven by rockers like the old 89 2.5 cars, except that the rockers are flopped, one forward and one back not inline . It's kinda a hemi design, the way the valves sit. The sohc's are driven by a chain. I've only done minimal work on these, so i'm sure someone on here has more knoledge of them than me.

I have one of the 4.7's in my 04 Dakota. It is a very strong motor for a smaller small block. The good thing bout the 4.7, there is really no lag in pull through the rpms. My truck registers 7000 with no red line. Good power and good gas mileage, with mine getting bout 21 in the summer.

And as for performance possibilities, here is one with a Paxton supercharger on it.

4.7L

I have a 4.7 in my 02 Dakota. It is real torquey for a small displacement engine. I've pulled a 18' car hauler with a ton on it and it's like it's not even back there. Decent fuel mileage too for a v8 truck. There is some perf. stuff for it but not much. The new Hemi came out right after it and of course it gets all the attention. The 4.7 is a real wide engine kinda like the old poly 318's were.

The White Knight 001.JPE

I kinda figured the Hemi took all the attention. With the right setup in a light Dart I can see some good power and mileage.

If I was abit more of a wis with a welder and could make my oun motor mounts, I would have went with the 4.7 for my 64 dart instead of the 5.7.
The 4.7 is closer to the 273 in cubic inches, so it would have been kind of a tribute to the lil 273 from back in the day. Unfortunetly there isnt a big aftermarket for it as far as the wiring and such. I guess If you know what your doing it would be a cool swap, however, I dont know what transmissions would work behind it. I guess you could use the stock trans, but I dont know how well it would hold up to playing around.

I have one in my 2002 quad cab. It was the standard motor the year before the hemi became available in 1500s

Another problem is it's wide width. I'm not sure it could be fitted into an early A-body very easily. Would probably be a tight squeeze in a 67 and up A-body and as stated the non availability of perf. items and aftermarket wiring harness. Just don't think it's a good candidate for an engine swap but that's JMHO

Good point. The 5.7 is wide and low also, but that 4.7 could be abit more. I think a jeep strait six would be kinda cool, I saw one in a Pacer last year. It would kinda be a nod to the slant six.

-
Back