V8 vs. Commando v8

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
What's the difference between cars with a v8 emblem and cars with the commando v8 in 1965.

Went to see about v8 emblems for a 65 valiant and I got both as a search result.

I kinda like the simpler v8

s-l400 (2).jpg

s-l400 (3).jpg

V8=2 barrel and V8 Commando= 4 barrel HP I believe. @toolmanmike will know for sure, I could be all misunderestimistooken.

I also think Commando was the Plymouth high performance trade name...

Shouldn't there be a charger v8 badge for us dart peeps. I've only seen the v8 badge on the darts. I thought the commando badge was only for Plymouth with that engine.

V-8 on lower performance cars like 2-barrel engines.

Commando with the HP versions.

The exception to the 4 barrel rule is the 361, which also got "commando V8" emblems despite being predominantly a 2 barrel engine. At least in 66 on the B and C body platforms.

Below is the passenger side fender badge on my factory '65 Dart 273 Charger 4 speed car. Seems they may have come on other Dodge models that year also. But clearly does not designate between 2 and 4 bbl cars as the Plymouth Commando badge does. Seems like a huge missed marketing opportunity for Dodge that year.
IMG_3528.jpg

Below is the passenger side fender badge on my factory '65 Dart 273 Charger 4 speed car. Seems they may have come on other Dodge models that year also. But clearly does not designate between 2 and 4 bbl cars as the Plymouth Commando badge does. Seems like a huge missed marketing opportunity for Dodge that year.
View attachment 1715385311
Interesting, that almost looks like a Plymouth emblem.

Interesting, that almost looks like a Plymouth emblem.
My Dart is pretty well preserved so I believe it's original, but hard to tell on 50+ year old cars. Fender on the driver side got hit and replaced at some point so that badge is missing.

The exception to the 4 barrel rule is the 361, which also got "commando V8" emblems despite being predominantly a 2 barrel engine. At least in 66 on the B and C body platforms.

My dad special ordered a 62 Sport Fury convertible with the 361 4 bbl and it was a Commando engine...

He really loved that car...

the 361 was a 2 barrel only engine in 1966 cars, but still got "Commando" emblems.

-
Back