Vacation to New Orleans

-

mudpup226

Reaction score
Anyone have info on vacationing in New Orleans? Looking to go in Oct/Nov for 4 days. Looking for recomendations on places to see...things to do...favorite places to eat, etc.
Thank you.

I made a quick trip to NO last year. I love the place.
Definatly eat at the Camiel Grille, its a diner and not too expensive but they had some of the best food I've ever tasted.
Also get to Jacques-Imo ( http://www.jacquesimoscafe.com/main.htm ) for french cajun food.
Cafe Du Monde is the spot to get Beignets, and stop at New Orleans Grocery for a Muffaletta

I only had a short stay there, I'm sure others can add more places to eat at, but thats a good start. I also saw a lot of music when I was there, it was everywhere. I can't wait to go back again.

The WWII Museum should not be missed.

If you want to experience a fine-dining experience you will never forget, go to Commander's Palace. Not a tourist trap. Bring a jacket (sportcoat.)

Hansen's SnoBlitz on Tchoupitoulas, for the original Sno-ball. The owner's grandfather was a machinist who built the machine, the syrups are home made, try the 'nectar.' Note: they operate from Jazzfest thru Halloween.

x2 Beignet's at Cafe du Monde.

x2 Muffaletta sandwich, get it to-go and eat it on the bank of the Mississippi.

I'm sure you'll have a blast and the tourist dollars are very much needed.

If you want to experience a fine-dining experience you will never forget, go to Commander's Palace. Not a tourist trap. Bring a jacket (sportcoat.)..

and your wallet. The food was good, but it wasn't cheap. We saw Sandra Bullock and her entourage eating there!!

Thanks guys I have never been there want to go some place different. Good motels to stay at do you a rental car ? Any info is greatly appreciated. I think I need to spend some northern money down south.

and your wallet. The food was good, but it wasn't cheap. We saw Sandra Bullock and her entourage eating there!!

True, it's pricey, but not a rip-off place. If you want to experience a New Orleans institution, it's worth it.

I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn French Quarter. It's not actually in the french quarter, but it's only a few blocks away and the rooms are pretty decent and reasonably priced. There are also quite a few Bed and Breakfast places in the garden district that are nice if you want something a little more personal. Do not stay at a hotel on bourbon street, they are usually over priced and trashy, plus bourbon street stinks.

You do not need a car when visiting, eveything you want to see in NOLA is within walking distance in the quarter of a short cab/trolly car ride away.

As for food, a lot of people will recommend Cafe Du Monde for beignets and coffee, it's a huge tourist trap and the wait usually makes it not worth it IMO. Go to Cafe Beignet off of royal street right next to the court house, their beignets are just as good if not better and you can actually find a table to enjoy them. Also, their Cajun hashbrowns are the bomb. As mentioned above, New Orleans Grocery Muffalettas are damn good, Also mother's off of Poydras has good breakfast, bloody mary's and Poboys for lunch. Also, Port of Call has good burgers. I usually hit up ACME oyster house for dinner if the wait isn't that bad. If i want fancy and have the $$$ I eat at Arnaud's

Night life... Most people will tell your Bourbon Street! Bourbon Street!.... Bourbon street sucks! IMO.. Its packed, dirty, stinky and over priced. Don't get me wronge, If it's your first time check it out, but I would limit it to the following drink stops..tropical isle for a hand grenade, Pat O's for a hurricane (you can actually chill here, it's not that bad). New Orleans Blues Company for the live music and The Barely Legal Club for the titays.

Off the beaten path places i like...

Molly's at the market, I actually spend most of my time drinking here. Never that packed, Abita amber on tap, great bloody marys (they use guinnes) and good juke box selections.

Ryan's Irish Pub, basically the same as Molly's just a little closer to Canal street.

Gold Mine, signature drink flaming Dr. Pepper.. Get one here. There is also good dance music for the ladies and arcade games for the nerds (me).

Lafitte's Black smith shop.. It's on Bourbon, but way past all the crap. It is the oldest bar in the US and just really cool.

What else... Hit up the aquarium, Audubon zoo (where da all ax for you!), WWII museum, Pharmacy Museum, Louisianan State Museum.... too much to list.

Anyway, I'm getting tired of typing this lol.. NOLA is awesome, have fun!

-
Back